S&W N-Frame Problem?

Oldspeed

Hello,
Today I got out my S&W Model 25-7 revolver in .45 Colt. I have had it for many years but have never fired it. I was wiping it off and dry firing it and when I went to put it away I noticed that the cylinder will not rotate any longer when the hammer is cocked? When the cylinder is closed it is locked in place by the bolt as usual. When I open it the cylinder spins freely. However it will not rotate when the hammer is cocked either single action or double action? I suspect the cylinder hand or hand spring? The hand looks normal in its frame opening and moves up and down when the hammer is cocked with the cylinder open. How can I determine what the problem is.? The hand tip looks normal.
Thanks

Oldspeed, I may be missing something here and if so I apologize but........the cylinder is not supposed to rotate when the hammer is cocked. The cylinder latch or bolt as it is some times called is designed to hold the cylinder in place to allow proper indexing (alignment) of the chamber to the forcing cone(barrel) when the gun is cocked.

------------------
Gunslinger TFL Imperial Potentate

TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000

I agree with Gunslinger. Just be be sure, I verified this on my two "N" frame S&Ws. No rotation with the hammer cocked.

Do you mean the cylinder won't rotate as you pull the trigger? If this is the case, you have a problem. If the cylinder won't rotate when the hammer is in the cocked (rearward) position, then you're OK. Please clarify your question so we can help you.

Sorry Guys,
I checked out the hand movement by opening the cylinder then cocking the hammer while holding back the cylinder release. This way the gun "Thinks" that the cylinder is closed. The hand moves up and down when I cock and release the hammer but it may not protrode out far enough to rotate the cylinder when it is closed?
Thanks

I think I see. Oldspeed, do you mean that the cylinder will not turn when you cock the hammer? If so, then it may be that the hand is not contacting the ratchet on the cylinder. You say the gun has been stored and it may just have old oil in it and need cleaning.

Before you remove the sideplate, get some good spray cleaner (I like G96 Gun Treatment). Then remove the grips, cock the hammer and shoot some cleaner down in front of the hammer. Then some down in front of the trigger. Use a fair amount (the reason I suggested removing the grips). Leave the gun soak for a while, then try it again. If it works, and the cleaner does not leave an oil residue, oil the gun lightly in the same places (front of hammer,front of trigger).

Jim

Hello,
Thanks for your input. I tore down my 25-7 and found the Hand Spring to have come disangaged from the Hand Pin. This caused the hand to retract and not have enough pressure forward to rotate the cylinder. The spring or the hand pin was not broken.
My concern: The gun was factory assembled and I had dry fired it 40-50 times and the cylinder rotated as normal. Then the Hand Spring slipped by the Hand Pin and caused the problem. Has this happened to anyone else? Now I worry that it could happen at a time when the piece was really needed. Was this just a once in a million thing?
Thanks

I've put hundreds of thousands of rounds through Smith "N" frames and have never had this happen. I'd consider it a "one in a million thing". But it would raise the pucker factor.

------------------
Gunslinger

I have shot a rail road box car full of ammo thru S&W's and I have never heard of this happening. If something was in a bind in the frame when you pulled the trigger this might be able to happen, but I cant really see how, my guess is its one in a million.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it,nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

A S&W gunsmith is strongly indicated.
I feel it may be a faulty spring(replace) or bodgy "tuning" by a prevoius owner.
The model is normally super-reliable and built like a brick dunny too !!(IE STRONG).

------------------
A thought from 'Big Bunny'...."The sword does not kill, it is a tool in the hands of the killer".... Seneca 'the younger' (circa AD 35)

Back