S&W Mtn Gun -- New, or NOS?

JNewell

A local dealer has received some new 629-5 Mountain Guns in both 45 Colt and 44 Mag. IIRC, the most recent Mountain Gun production run was the 45ACP version? That would mean that these are either the start of a new run (but I though that S&W only did one caliber of these at a time in the past?) or that these are backshelf "finds" at a distributor. Does anyone have any knowledge on the status of the MG?

My 625-6, .45 Colt, is just over five years old. It has the eccentric extractor star, case-colored hammer & trigger, "new" thumb latch, and hammer-mounted firing pin. I can't say whether this helps date your finds, or just adds to the confusion, but at first sight it appears that they must be older stock, just now shipped to your dealer.

On their site, the .45LC caliber

is stated to be the most recent addition to the Moutain Gun line-up. I don't know if there are any that qualify as pre-agreement, or not.

There was a little paper notice in the box that said something like "The distributor received this gun before [some date I don't remember] and it is exempt from the NYS ballistic fingerprinting law." The date was sometime in March 2001, I think. The way some distributors seem to operate, for all I can tell, they found it on the back of some shelf somewhere.

Does anyone know when the 629-5s began production?

I'm going to give S&W customer service a call tomorrow and ask the date -- I made a note of the serial number.

The pre-agreement .45 Colt MGs (625-M6) have the hammer-mounted firing pin. The post-agreementm, current model has the frame-mounted firing pin.

Called S&W today. Apparently they ran off about 5,000 (the customer service rep's guess) MGs in .44 Mag in September 2000 -- it wasn't cataloged due to low production.

Back