S & W Model of 1989

WilliePete

Inactive
For Christmas my wife bought me a used S&W 357 mag. It is a stainless six shot with a heavy duty cylinder. On the barrel is stamped "Model of 1989".

It's in great shape and shoots great.

Where can I find more info on this revolver?

Your revolver is a Model 627

I am guessing that your piece is a Model 627, and should have the model number on the frame under the cylinder crane (open the cylinder and look there). The barrel length is 5.5", the gripframe is round butted and the cylinder is unfluted, right??
This piece was originally made in 1989 along with several other special models in that year, total of 4500 made. The serial number prefix should be "BEK" followed by 4 numbers. That is a very heavy duty revolver, a special edition, and a revolver you should be very proud to own. Enjoy it!! .......SmithNut

Thanks for the info on my 627 Model 1989.

I have been looking for a holster. No one in Tulsa seems to have one that will fit this S&W. Any ideas?

Try either El Paso Saddlery or Milt Sparks for a holster. Both make excellent holsters! Both custom made for your gun. I like the "Tom Threepersons" model, myself.

Smithnut has got it.
Hi, Smithnut.
Dillon used to have holsters for 5".
Like a fool I traded both my 627 and 625 away.
At least I have the 3" 66 and a ton of 58,57,657s.:)

Tree Rat,
In 1988? and 89 Smith put out a series of revolvers: 617, 627, 625, and others I am not sure of...
These were: .22, .357, .45acp..etc.
I had the 627 and 625.
The new 627 is a PC only as you said.
The old ones had 1989 and 1988? roll stamped on the barrels.
Best regards,

There were many

There were several Model of 1989 varients, including the M625 (in barrel lengths of 3", 4", 5", and rumored to be also available in 6.5"), 627 (as noted, 5.5" full lug, 6 Shot), M25-7 (.45 Colt, 5", round butt, unfluted).
I was not aware of any Model 17 "Model of 1989"??
The later Model 627's are from the Performance Center, and are 8-shot pieces.
Since the original M627 "Model of 1989", there have been other small orders for 6-shot versions, some fluted, some with 5" barrel, most were exported through Wisscho, a distributor in Germany. These were not PC variations to my knowledge.
.......SmithNut

Sorry, meant to say M617

G33,
Typed M17, meant to say M617 :). 1989 was an interesting year, and S&W made tons of unique editions that year. The ones I noted above were all marked on the gun as "Model of 1989". There were so many variations, including the special run of 5" M686's for Bill Davis, but I don't know of any more that were marked as such (not sure on the M686).
......SmithNut

Back