S&W Model List

pavelow

Inactive
I'm wondering if any of you know of a website that lists past and present S&W revolver models (besides the S&W website).

I need info regarding caliber/barrel length combinations.

Thanks...Pavelow

The best I can recommend is the book written by the guy who has the Old Town Station web site. I think that there is a model list in it. I would be very surprised, however, is anyone knows for sure all this kind of detailed information.

What specifically are you looking for?

If you can narrow it down some, I can provide you with hopefully most of the information you need.

The great thing about S&W's is, that with a few exceptions, each caliber had a different model designation.

Some of the early hand ejectors are the exception, though.

The book Ken is referring to is "The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson," authored by Jim Supica and Rick Nahaus.

Jim (owner of Old Town Station) is extremely knowledgable about the pre-hand ejector guns, while Rick knows the hand ejectors.

Kenneth & Mike, thanks for your replies.

Mike, what I am looking for is a .38 spl only (not .38/.357) 3" model 10/64 or model 15/67 or model 14. I would prefer a blued gun. As far as stainless guns go, the model 337 fits the bill (.38 3") but I don't care for the lines of the 337.

I have a 2000 and 2001 S&W catalog which lists the following gun/barrel lengths:

10 4"
64 2" or 4"
67 4"
Though not listed in the 2000 or 2001 catalog, I have only seen the model 14 (k-38) in a 6" tube.

After doing some basic research I assume that the model 15 is a blued version of the modle 67. True statement?

With that last statement in mind, is the 15/67 the same gun as the 10/64 only with adjustable sights? I assume so by looking at the pictures in catalogs. Furthermore, it appears that the the same holds true for the 65 .38/.357 and the 66 .38/.357 in that the 66 has adjustable sights.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Pave,

Yes, the 67 is the stainless equiv. of the Model 15.

And yes, the 15/67 are the adjustable sight variations of the 10/64.

The 65 is the stainless version of the Model 13.

The 66 is the stainless version of the Model 19.

The Model 14 is out of production.

Now, it sounds like you're looking for a new gun.

If, however, you want a Smith & Wesson, get a USED gun. You may not have heard about this, but it's a political thing. I don't know if you're familiar with the deal that S&W signed with the Clinton administration, or how it would (with severe government interference) conduct its legal trade.

If you're interested in learning more about how this deal threatens your rights as a gun owner, and the rights of your children, and their children, read the text of the agreement (click on the link in my signature line), and then search TFL using "Smith Wesson agreement."

There are also some solid reasons for getting a used gun other than politics. Most, if not all, of S&W's blued guns have been dropped. Stainless steel is about the only offerings these days in the frame size you want, unless you want to pay for a performance center gun.

The new design has the firing pin mounted in the frame, not on the nose. That requires a somewhat heavier mainspring, and correspondingly heavier action.

I'm not crazy about the fit and finish of the latest crop of S&Ws. The actions aren't as good as they should be, and quite frankly, I think they are over priced.

The used market is, however, virtually awash with S&Ws that are virtually new, lightly used, or moderately used.

The police and civilian move away from S&W revolvers in the 1980s & 1990s has depressed prices on the used S&W market in many areas of the country, and probably will for quite a few years to come.

I bought a 4" Model 10 slender barrel at a gunshow couple of years ago, in VERY good shape, for $152.00.

I ended up selling it to a friend who also appreciates S&Ws because I wanted to finance the purchase of a different S&W.

I bought a like new 6" Model 28 for $300, and an unfired, 99.95% 4" Model 28 for $250.

It's still a buyer's market. Go buy!

Mike,

Excellent reply...thanks. I'm not looking for a new gun...I already own a 629 Mountain Gun and was looking for something inexpensive (hence blue and used).

Regarding your comment on the frame/hammer mounted pins, I have been told the same thing about the new crop of revo's from S&W having harder pulls. I actually sent my mountain gun back to S&W to have them take the d.a. pull down to the low end of their specification. They did it for free and paid for shipping both ways to boot. Didn't cost me a nickle.

So, do the older model 10's, 15's or 14's come in 3" barrels?

Pavelow

Pave,

Unfortunatly no, there are no 3" barreled options in the blue guns. The only 3" tube in that series is on the 13.

Now, you are in luck with the stainless guns.

The 64 came in a 3" version. I've only ever seen one, so they may be kind of hard to find.

As a matter of fact they did make....

The M10 was made with 3" barrels, back in the 1986/87 timeframes. S&W put out at least three versions of the M10. There is a blue, a matte blue and a nickel finished, if I wasn't traveling this week I could post the Product numbers. All these were M10-8 configurations, heavy 3" barrels and round butts. Back in the late 60's there were even some 3" "medium heavy" barreled blue guns, but with square butts, those are wierd.
In this picture link, you'll see a matte blue 3" from 1986 as well as the 3" with SB, both on the left side.
View

Model 64's have been available in 3" as well, and if you look at the S&W website, under Law Enforcement, you'll see that they are still making them.
........SmithNut

Three inch K-frames are my passion. But I need the help of the "brain trust"(all you knowledgable posters out there).

Recently I bought a used M-13 with 3"bbl and round butt at Green Top Sporting goods(The world's largest toy store), the gun had a spurless hammer that appears to be the same profile as the factory spurless hammer on my Tampa PD 3" M-64.

Was this a PD or agency spec, or aftermarket installation. I notice that Gun Parts lists spurless hammers for many S&W models. Were they ever sold over the counter with the spurless hammer?

I have had a local gunsmith grind the spur off of a couple of guns. Althought the workmanship is superb, It is apparent to the naked eye that this has been done aftermarket.

My daily carry gun is a 3" M-65 with a spurless hammer and the rear edge of the sight milled out to give me a semi patridge sight picture. The pride of my collection is an unfired NIB m-66 3". My holy grail is a 3" 686 CS-1 that I've been chasing for long time. As my passion is 3" K-frames, I prize them more for the round butt than the barrel length. As a practical matter, a 4" barrel rides more securely in an IWB holster.

Anyone out there have a 4" M-66 or M-19 RB for sale?

Shoot often, shoot safely

Jay

Spurless hammers

jaysouth,
3" K and L frames Rock!, for sure.
Not sure what to tell you on the spurless hammer question. I've seen several for sale over the years, some that are PD marked, many that are not marked at all. I have a 3" M64 that has the spurless hammer and is factory DAO, but it is not marked, and the box is not identified as a "special" from what I can remember.
S&W has a habit of releasing "overrun" guns, guns that they make over and above the quantity that is made for a particular order. An example is the CS-1 you are talking about. There were 3200 such CS-1's made (1600 3", 1600 4") that went directly to distribution as overrun guns. (Another note: After the Customs Service decided to go to autos, they sold 2000-2500 to dealers/distributors, so there are plenty out there).
Lastly, 4" RB M19's are out there, the last ones released were some chambered in .38 Special. These were available around Jan/Feb of this year.
........SmithNut

Back