S&W Model 945

Hard Ball

Has anyone had any experience with the new Smith&Wesson Model 945 .45 ACP automatic. I am interested in your opimions.

Have had the full size 945 since it first came out and am completely delighted with it.It is superbly accurate and its fit and finish are first rate.It is a little more difficult to take apart to clean than most Browning clones as the slide stop is very tightly fitted, but that's no real problem. I prefer it to most versions of the 1911 as it has a lot of goodies at a very reasonable price.And I have to admit, in all fairness, that I'm very partial to all Smiths!!

Hard Ball: I really, really like the S&W 945. In fact i like it so much I sold some guns, scraped together more $'s and eventually bought both the full size 5" adjustable (Bo-Mar) sight version and the 4" 'Combat' model with Novak fixed sights. Both have great triggers, 100% reliability (at least so far) and both are accurate as all get out. Regards, Dennis

I've got 3-4000 rounds through mine now. It's eaten everything I've fed it-mostly 200 LSWC without a single jam or FTF. It's dead-on accurate. Definitely has the edge on my Kimber Classic Goldmatch which I thought the sun rose and set on until I got the 945.

Pete

I really drooled over the 945 when it forst came out. I finally got one about a year ago and used it in the STC Nationals last April. It performs very well and is super-sexy...but...when it comes right down to it, I like the feel of a "real" 1911 more than the 945.

I am not going to sell the gun, but I would never choose to carry it for self defence. I may use it occasionally in a competition, that's about it.

How is the feel of the new 4 inch 945? Does it feel as good in the hand as as 1911? DennisE, any chance you could post some pics of that compact 945? How reliable has it been? Thanx in advance!

------------------
Somedays you eat the bear...somedays the bear eats you.

DennisE, what did you pay, ballpark figure for your combat 945 version? I hope this is not being rude. Thanx in advance.

------------------

Mountaineer: Both the 4 & 5 inch guns have been 100% reliable to date. Four inch model was about $1,250. I don't have pictures but it's feature with pictures in Sheriff Wilsons article in the February 2000 "Shooting Times" magazine. Regards, Dennis

[This message has been edited by DennisE (edited January 09, 2000).]

I got to handle a used 945 today at my dealerand I must say the pistol is even better than I had hoped. I was a little skeptical of Smith duplicating a 1911 and the grip looks like it might be odd feeling from pictures.....how wrong I was! The pistol was not top heavy at all(like other Smith autos)and it was very trim for a full size handgun(kinda reminded me of a Hi-power)and the grip felt damn near like 'ol slabsides to me, the safety was very positive, no mush to it. The pistol felt like it was built for speed, the only thing I didn't like was the match mag release. Does anyone know in cyber-ville where the new combat PC 945's are available yet? I have always liked PC handguns and now they've come up with the 1911 feel and safety operation with Smith reliability (read giant claw extractor) this might be the ultimate incarnation of the 1911.....for me! Anyone know where these gems are being sold please sing out 'cause this money is starting to self-combust in my pocket. Sorry about the long rambling post and thanx in advance!

------------------

Originally posted by Mountaineer:
I got to handle a used 945 today at my dealerand I must say the pistol is even better than I had hoped. I was a little skeptical of Smith duplicating a 1911 and the grip looks like it might be odd feeling from pictures.....how wrong I was! The pistol was not top heavy at all(like other Smith autos)and it was very trim for a full size handgun(kinda reminded me of a Hi-power)and the grip felt damn near like 'ol slabsides to me, the safety was very positive, no mush to it. The pistol felt like it was built for speed, the only thing I didn't like was the match mag release. Does anyone know in cyber-ville where the new combat PC 945's are available yet? I have always liked PC handguns and now they've come up with the 1911 feel and safety operation with Smith reliability (read giant claw extractor) this might be the ultimate incarnation of the 1911.....for me! Anyone know where these gems are being sold please sing out 'cause this money is starting to self-combust in my pocket. Sorry about the long rambling post and thanx in advance!

>I notice there are also 2 945's listed for sale on:
http://www.gunxchange.com
Regards, Dennis

Mountaineer, what was the price on the used 945 you saw? What condition was it in? Thanks.

Frank

DennisE,
Thanx for the info! F5, it appeared to be in excellent shape but the price was $1,165 or $1,135, can't quite remember but either way I thought that was a little steep.
If you want more info email me at scottgun@hotmail.com.

------------------

Is the frame on the 4 inch combat model stainless steel or alum. alloy? I thought it was steel but saw somewhere on the net where someone said it was alloy.

------------------

Back