S&W Model 940

2kiddad

In my quest to build on my 9mm collection, I'm interested in the Model 940. I was wondering what the group's collective opinion is. Since the search function is down, I can't check it out, so if this has been discussed to death, forgive me.

Thanks.

I like my 940. It's stainless and packs about the same punch as the 357 Magnum Model 640 due to the short tube. The 9mm doesn't seem to be too badly affected by the 2" bbl.

The 940 is also just a bit smaller because it has the 38 length cylinder and bbl rather than the slightly longer 357 parts. This makes a noticeable difference in pocket carry.

I have one, and have chrono'd several rounds thru it. I find in the 2 inch version that velocities are similar to my 3 1/2 Kahr and Smith. This makes sense because the length from cylinder to barrel end is 3.25 inches. The only difficulty is that high pressure ammo sticks and must be tapped out...actually beaten out. I have had problems with Winchester NATO ball, Cor Bon and Winchester +p+. The gun functions fine with Remington +p, both Golden Saber and the 115 as well as all standard loads. Easy recoil and I would like to find a Ruger in 9 now.

The 940 is probably the only stainless steel revolver I'm interested in owning.

If you've ever seen me discuss the "merits" of "souless steel" you'll know that's quite an admission for me. :)

Back