S&W Model 66 w/firing pin in hammer

AUTiger73

I'm looking at a S&W Model 66 that's new, unfired, in original factory box. I was surprised to find it has the hammer mounted firing pin. Seems to me the current production has the frame mounted firing pin with a transfer bar system.

While I am aware that the S&W - J-frame (Chief Special, et.al.) changed to the frame mounted firing pin at least 2 years ago, I'm unsure about when the S&W K-frame (Model 66, et.al.) and for that matter when the L-frame and N-frame changed to the frame mounted firing pin. Current gun magazines indicate all S&W are coming with the new firing pin system.

ATTENTION S&W Experts!

Question: When did the the S&W K-Frame guns change to the frame mounted firing pins?

Thank You in advance for any information on this.

I have a 1995 K-comp which has the hammer firing pin. I also have a 1996 M627PC gun with a frame mounted firing pin. IMHO, they proly changed over in 95/96. SOUNDS LIKE A NICE 66, a forever gun indeed.best.....dewey...:D ...:cool:

If the price is right (under $425) it would be a good deal.
IMO, the newer ones are not as good as the older ones with the hammer-mounted firing pin.

The M66 is the most accurate centerfire handgun that I have ever fired.

I shoot mostly 38 Special loads through the M66, and 158 grain, .38 Special +P, LSWCHP for defense.
I would only use .357 Magnums if I needed to use the gun for hunting.
Others here may tell you that it doesn't take too many full-charge, 125 grain, .357 Magnums to crack the forcing cone.
For me, this is not a limitation.

Good Luck!

-Mk.IV

It may be new, but it's likely been sitting around on a shelf for a couple of years,

Or, if it is new production straight from the factory, it's probably one of a bunch of frames that were socked away somewhere at the plan and were just discovered.

Thanks for the responses.

The price is exactly $ 425. It also comes in the newer plastic box rather that the old blue cardboard box.

After having collected S&W revolvers (mostly J-Frames and occasionally a limited edition or special order N-Frame), I joined others in boycotting S&W products in response to their "deal with the devil". Now the devil in tempting me to buy another S&W.

My preference is the hammer mounted firing pin. This particular gun appears to be "new-old stock" - maybe of "pre-boycott" manufacture. Very tempting indeed.

AUTiger73:

Do not let it go !!! It´s (IMHO) one of the best all around revolvers.

Buy and enjoy it, you´ll not regret.

Good luck and good shots.

ALP

I recently ran across a NIB 3" model 66 that was manufactured in 1998. As a boycotter, I made sure of the date before I bought it. It has the hammer-mounted pin and came in the plastic box. There is no way I'd trade this gun. Slapped a Butler Creek boot grip on it and trashed the laminated factory slivers. It's a keeper.

Callahan

Back