S&W Model 66 Information

tonyz

I have the opportunity to buy a S&W Model 66 2.5" Barrel in exellent shape. I am not very knowledged in the S&W line. Any feedback would be appreciate. Including price in your area I am in the Portland/Vancouver area. The pistol would be for one of my wifes CCW and night stand gun.

Thanks

Tony

Last edited:
What's the asking price? Any idea as to how old it is? How many rounds are through it?

Jim March wrote a very good piece on how to check out a used revolver. You should print it out and take it with you.

Quite frankly, I simply don't think you can go wrong with one of these revovlers.

Price is $300.00 , the pistol was used a as CCW gun and supposedly has 500 rounds through it. I belive it is 5 years old.
Also has had good maintinance.
As to Jim March's post I read it when it came out , It was a very informative post.

Tony

Last edited:
My only concern is whether it will fit your wife's hand. The Model 66 is a K-frame (medium-framed revolver). Many women of smaller stature have similarly size hands, and the Model 66 may be just a bit too big for her. I teach basic pistol classes and most of the women that I teach end up using the smaller S&W Model 60 (J-frame) rather than the Model 66.

Also, the Model 66 will be rather heavy. You might want to consider a 3" Model 60.

M1911

FYI, Smith & Wesson model 66's were manufactured
with a 2.5" barrel; instead of a 2".:eek: :D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

TONYZ: Model 66 is the "baby brother" of the legendary model 686 Distinguished Combat Magnum (slightly smaller frame, same internal works). I own both and they are outstanding guns. $300 is a good price if it's in good shape. Check the end shake in the cylinder with it closed (front to rear movement). It should be no more than a couple of thousandths. To check lock-up: pull the trigger DA and stop just before the hammer falls and check rotational cylinder play. A slight amount is normal, shouldn't be severe. BTW: my wife shoots my 66 and 686 all the time.

Back