S&W Model 66-2

rp-houston

Inactive
Recently bought a S/S Model 66-2 revolver at a gun show. Am trying to determine the approximate age of this series model. Also if anyone knows of any problems with this series model.

Thanks for the help

You've got a good little backup. S&W started making these in the late 70s and it was all I carried before making my own. My 66-2 was circa 1979 from Collector's Firearms on Richmond @ Fondren.

If you ever get a case stuck (or the ejector rod) very carefully insert a punch or screwdriver carefully through the front of the open cylinder and GENTLY tap each case until it clears the end of the cylinder. Never force the rod itself! Then, use the ejector to finish the job. Cleaning after use (something you should do for Best Practice anyway) and noting what kind of powder or ammo doesn't work well, will keep this to a minimum. You'll eventually find a .38 or .357 round that suits you. You could probably Google a search that would find you a replacement SS clip for the left grip that would let you holster it on the back of pants (under shirt). Very comfortable if you ditch the righthand grip for something more low profile. You could get these in a rounded or straight K-frame grip.

Last edited:
Is he talking 66 two inch, or 66 dash 2 mod level? I have a 66 mod 3 and it has no problems whatsoever. Only thing to check is if it has been heavily fired with alot of hot magnum ammo, causing looseness or excessive wear in the gun. But the info in the used rev. buying posting in the rev. forum should tell you about that. If it is a tight gun, just be aware of the fact it is a K frame and may not take the constant beating of magnum loads as well as a larger frame, but still should last and last. Last hundreds of years if not abused!

Back