S&W Model 640 A Good Choice?

Jennings

Inactive
I hope that I am in the right spot. This is all new to me. So, here it goes.

Does anyone have any comments about the S&W Model 640? I have not been able to find many comments. Is that because everyone generally hates S&W now? Apart from politics, what is the reputation of the gun? I am about to buy a new one for less then $500.00.

I chose the Model 640 because I feel safer with a revolver (no jam--which will concern me about pistols for protection), the hammer is internal (no snags), it's a .357/38 +p, and it is small enough to clip on my belt (strong side) or put in my pocket. The stainless steel weight does not bother me.

I understand that there may be lots of more glamerous guns out there, especially in the pistol area, but for a concealed weapon, why is this not a simple good choice. I understand that the 2-1/8 barrel is a drawback (gun loud and kicks), but I will not be using it for fun at target practice.

Henry

I have no experience with a 640, but I own a Model 60 which is basically the same gun with a hammer. I think it is a fine gun, S & W politics notwithstanding. I have about 1,000 rounds through mine without any problem.

Some overall obseravations:

I think it is more difficult to learn to shoot a 2 1/8" barrel than gun with a longer one because of the shorter site radius. Even if you primarily plan on using this gun for defensive purposes, I'd recommend you spend significant time at the range with it.

My Model 60 likes to be clean. It is fine through 50 rounds. If I get close to or above 100 rounds at one time, especially with dirty ammo, it can lock up until it gets a good cleaning. That doesn't fret me since I don't ever see myself in a prolonged fire fight with this gun.

Not sure how much under $500 you are spending. If you're close to that figure, I'd say you're paying too much. I bought mine just around the time the boycott started--what was that 2 yrs ago?--and paid about $350 as I recall.

Finally, it is loud with .357. Mostly, I run .38 spcl through mine. The "kick" is not at all bad with .38 spcl. and is tolerable with light .357 loads.

Enjoy,
Randy

If you like the 640, why not get an older 3" one ? Should be able to find a very nice one for around $250-300.

Sam

Concealment is of the upmost at work, and a 640 is my primary carry. I don't see why anyone could not become quite proficient with any .38+P load available. Magnums require a bit more fortitude, but they are certainly workable with a little dedication. I think it is a fine choice.

I agree that much over $450 is too much for a new one, unless perhaps it already has a front night sight installed. Sam also has a good point. If you don't forsee using or carrying magnum loads, the same model is more readily had in .38 on the used shelves.:)

I own one and think it's a fine gun. I have shot all varieties of 38 and some 357 thru it. I think that as far as 38 shhoting it is great, but I prefer my Ruger sp101 for shooting magnums.

I own a 640 with the 2 1/8 inch barrel and Uncle Mikes boot grips. It is very concealable, but I don't enjoy shooting more than 30 or 40 Magnums rounds at a time. The recoil with Magnum loads is heavy and the noise is incredible. It is far easier to shoot with 38 Special loads.

I have one w 2 1/8" barrel. It is great, and I wouldn't part with it. I don't shoot many full power magnums through it. I load 125 gr at about 1100 fps and they are good practice loads, and only about 150 fps below most 125 gr factory loads in the short barrel.

Jerry

They are the best thing invented since canned beer and sliced bread.

The only thing I say is if you carry it in a pocket it's better to get the alloy version as they weigh about 1/2 as much. YMMV:)

i found the 640 too heavy for pocket carry but a bit light for regular practice...but it is fun to shoot, once you're good, just to demonstrate how well a snubby can hit.

i ended up with a 642 (alloy) as a back-up gun and recommend somthing larger (k-frame, speed-six) for general use. ;)

Never liked the 640; however, I did carry the 638 as a backup for over 11 years. I don't like 640 because of roll checks on the trigger only.

Since I am one of the few non-ninjas on TFL, I like this added "safety."

The 640 is a great pocket gun if used with a Galco pocket holster and loose khaki pants.

If you want to shoot .357 magnum I recommend 110 grainers or reduced velocity 125 grainers. In .38 special, 158 grain lead hollow point +P is the way to go.

Don't, yes, but can end in BANG. I'm a sissy; I like the hammer. Remember, me, KSFreeman, the big sissy always whining about safety. Bruce Willis doesn't care about safety, why should anyone else?

No matter to me now that I have converted to the Moonie gun as a backup. So sue me.

Now that you have roll checked your 640 you must now snatch the .38 cartridge from my hand and then walk the earf in a tactical manner.:)

Humor? Hah! Humor shumor....I can snatch the 38 bullet from your hand...but can you knock this D cell, from my tactical light/laser/disco ball, off of my shoulder :D
Shoot well

Back