S&W Model 637-2

ThomasT

I picked up a new to me used gun from Gander Mountain today. Its a model 637-2 but is a little different from the 642 models I am used to seeing. This has a nice wood grip and the barrel is not a tube with a shroud over it. It also weighs a couple ounces more than the listed 15oz for a 642. This one comes in at 17oz.

The serial # is CYR65XX. It doesn't have the hollowed backstrap like the 431PD I own. Is there anything you guys can tell me about this gun? The barrel is marked 38 S&W Special+P. Thanks.

Attachments

• MVC-001S (2).JPG
    MVC-001S (2).JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 165
  • MVC-002S (2).JPG
    MVC-002S (2).JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 107
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 98
Thanks Bill. I was really curious about the grips. Every one of these I have seen have the rubber grips. I suspect the grips were added after the first buyer had the gun.

Are the grips S&W Logo?

Some of those were put on at the factory as a "Distributor Special" gun. I had a 642 "Talo" model and there were rosewood grips from the factory on it. Kept the grips, and they are now on a 360Sc.

Ditto on the rubber grips on my wife's 637-2 bought new in 2010. It went back to Smith for failure to fire after 5 rounds. They replace the cylinder, hand, and trigger and did a fantastic smoothing job on the DA trigger pull. It's her daily carry gun when I can get her to do it. We replaced the grips with Crimson Trace ones for a better feel and night time use. Great gun, reliable now but rarely shot with +p ammunition. I load my own that duplicates the recoil impulse for practice use and she carries it with +P Golden Saber 125 JHP's. Rod

I have one more question for you guys. Looking in the barrel it does not appear to have any rifling. I know that sounds strange. I just called S&W and the rep told me this gun has ECR rifling that does not look like conventional land and groove spirals you normally see. Is this true? The barrel looks more like the polygonal rifling Glocks have. I even slugged the bore with a .360 round ball and it does have what appear to be flats but thats about it.

The S&W rep stated all the one piece 2" barrels are made this way. Does the barrel on the 637-2s that you folks have look like that?

I guess the proof will be in the shooting of the gun. Gander Mountain says I have 30 days to return the gun if I am not happy with it.

As for the grips maybe they were a special run. They do have the S&W logo on them.

My mother owns one, we've gone out and shot it a couple of times. It's a thumper for a .38, it left me shaking my hand a couple times, considering it's an Airweight. I do like it, though, it's pretty accurate for a 2" barrel.

Here is some info I found on the rifling used in these guns. Apparently S&W is using this method on a lot of its guns.

http://www.firearmsid.com/feature articles/ecr/electrochemicalrifling.htm

A google search for smith & wesson ecr rifling will turn up a couple of threads on the forums if you want to do a little more reading.

The ATF told S&W that the rifling was too perfect and so each barrel is made with a slight flaw so that a bullet can be tied back to that gun.

Post #3.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/196389-whats-up-barrels-642s.html

The ATF told S&W that the rifling was too perfect and so each barrel is made with a slight flaw so that a bullet can be tied back to that gun.

Good grief....that's the wildest internet rumor I've ever heard. I'll happily raise the BS flag on that one. Rod

Hey Rodfac that was the first time I had heard it too. Did you read the link I posted to the S&W forum and post #3?

See, I ain't makin' this stuff up.:confused:

I just hope it shoots as well as reported. I did scrub it out and the barrel cleaned up really nice. And its shiny as a mirror. So heres hoping.

Yep, read the link, Rat...sounds like one guy's opinion...but as to Smith deliberately nicking one groove to "identify" a particular revolver...I'd wonder just how they documented that barrel from the thousands that were made. Even in this enlightened age of computers, it would impossible from a practical viewpoint.

We've had three of the 637's here on our farm. Two went to my DIL and her mother, and the third is my wife's. All did well with cast bullets using WW alloy and keeping velocities down to standard .38 Spl speed. We use that load to duplicate +P 125 gr JHP recoil and get equal accuracy with it. Leading is not a problem.

Accuracy can be astonishing when all the stars are aligned. I once put 5 shots from a fairly new 637 into 1-1/2" at 35 yds...used a pair of Crimson Trace grips and the laser on my wife's 637 to do it by bracing my shooting strong hand against my hip bone...almost like shooting off bags it was so steady. In effect, it was 'shooting fromt the hip' but well braced as described above...that's one of the advantages of laser sights....the ability to use them in darkness and from unconventional positions.

For loads, try 4.5 gr of 231 and any good LSWC, I like Missouri Bullet Co.'s 158 LSWC and shot that super group using it. As always, this load is near top end of the standard pressure .38 Spl. loadings in Lyman's load manual. You should work up to it if you're interested.

Best Regards, Rod

Those grips are made by altamont and were probably not original to the gun. I had the same set on a model 36. Nice grips, but i prefer the original magnas with a tyler T grip.

I have a model 30-1 with a 2" barrel and a model 31-1 with 4" barrel and I am kicking around the idea or getting T-Grips for the pair. I just can't make up my mind on what color. Gloss black or polished aluminum. Post pics if you have them.

I had already been told these were Altamont grips. But I am not sure if they were added or came with the gun as a distributor exclusive. It doesn't matter in the end. I like the way they look and am glad to have them. The only other fancy grips I have are a set of Mustang grips on a 3" model 30-1. Those are great feeling grips.

Last edited:
Cool information ratshooter!
I just bought a 642 and could not be happier. What a great looking and equally great shooting little 38spl. The fit and finish and trigger pull are excellent. I have just shot lead bullet ammo in mine and have had very good results. I'm thinking about a 638 now!:)

Back