S&W Model 629 Mountain Gun

jimmy

The 629 Mountain Gun has been mentioned from time to time in this forum. My dealer has one for sale that's got me interested. It's late production (with new style thumbpiece and frame-mounted firing pin). It's used, but not much--maybe 50 to 100 rounds have been fired in it. The dealer wants $498 for it. This seems high to me, but most guns seem high to me nowadays.

Good experiences with this model? Bad experiences? Opinions? Thanks.

My big complaint about the Mountain Gun (ALL) is the tapered barrel. It is a bit light, especially in .44 Magnum. Recoil is very stiff and does not provide a opportunity for a follow-up shot when you miss. From experience, when in a panic, always miss the first shot. The real advantage though is that it's light. Better a gun that you are willing to carry, than a gun that stays home.

Robert

I had a mountain gun and a trailboss. They are both first class revolvers. However, Robert is right, the recoil is stiff. In fact, with heavy loads like 300 grainers the recoil is down right abusive. If you are at all sensitive to recoil I would suggest you think twice.

If you just want a gun to carry a lot and shoot when necessary, these are fine pieces. I have two and want more. They are also good "plinkers" with .44 Spl. type loads or .44 Spl. factory ammo.

If you want something to shoot a steady diet of .44 Mags in (why?) for many extended sessions, get a heavier gun (read longer, heavier barrel).

For a used gun, I think the price is too high. I believe suggested retail is $580, but you can find them for about a 100 dollars less, if you look, or I did a few months ago. Unfortunately, I only found them AFTER I paid retail! Wanna see a "$600.00" gun?

Sometimes you have to pay for your thrills...
The minute you don't buy it-the next minute you can't find it cheaper and when you go back-its gone.
If you like it, buy it.
Six months, a year from now you won't remember exactly what you paid for it anyway.
As for the Mountain gun itself, they shoot good, feel good and look good.
Use 44special and it will feel like your shooting a .22.

The 629 Mountain Gun is whippy due to the tapered barrel but it is what it is. $498 seems a little high for a used gun but at the same time it's there now and you know what you're getting. You could always offer him less, you've got nothing to lose.

If you don't reload Remington makes a 240 grain lead flatpoint load in their yellowbox line. In the past I've chronographed it running at 950-70fps. It says Med. Load right on the box.

In this gun it's very important to have grips that fit your hand properly, especially if you leave the backstrap exposed otherwise with full power loads it will slam back into the web of your hand.

If you buy it I hope you enjoy it. I do mine

I suppose I will offend everyone with this, but I can see no good reason for ever buying a 44 Magnum S&W Mountain Revolver unless the shooter has no interest in firing magnum loads. It seems to me that the 44 Magnum is for big game hunting or defense from dangerous game, and the Mountain Revolver is just too light to handle the kind of heavy loads required for those purposes. It's not that the gun isn't strong enough, it's that the recoil is excessively difficult to handle with the kinds of loads that justify the caliber.

Randy,

You haven't offended me, but I do disagree with you. I take my Mountain Gun with me hunting and have also used it in IDPA matches with medium velocity loads. The only time I shoot full power loads is before I go hunting to make sure it is sighted in and then if I happen to employ it while hunting. For defense from dangerous game I figure it will be in close when used so controllability for multiple shots is not that big of an issue as it would be for longer ones.

Another way to look at it is the same reason a lot of people buy a .357 Magnum. They will normally shoot .38 Special loads but they have the option of utilizing the full power Magnum rounds.

I can shoot .44 Specials or Medium velocity .44 Mag loads but I still have the option of using the full power loads. I also have a lighter weight gun for ease of carry.

You are right though in that muzzle flip and felt recoil are no picnic with this revolver.

G. Kennedy: I would agree that the Mountain Revolver is a pretty neat gun as long as one is not firing the heaviest loads. Personally I find the Mountain Revolvers tolerable even with 240-grainers at full speed. I guess the problem I have with the gun is when I attempt to use heavy hard-cast bullets at high-speed, such as our 310-grainer at 1325-fps. That is a load level that really busts my hand. But it is true that in a life and death struggle one is far less aware of recoil levels than when one is recreationally shooting. Recoil management is a personal matter more than one of physics, so my experience may just be my own. Best regards, Randy Garrett www.garrettcartridges.com

The Mountian Gun concept is for a revolver that will be carried alot but shot little. They are intended for people who spend a great deal of time in the outdoors and want a heavy caliber revolver to carry everywhere without so much weight. In theory, it sounds like a good idea. Practicaly, I'm not so sure anymore.
I have one in .45 Colt. Lovely gun, shoots great! But, lately I've been thinking about selling it. First problem was getting a good holster. Almost all holster makers build them for the standard heavy barreled guns and the result is a slight looseness when you put in the thin barreled mountian gun which will sit just a tad deeper. Not a big problem, but noticable.
I've also heard many people with the .44 mag version complain about recoil. I know one owner who has decided to only shoot .44 specials in hers.
And is the lighter weight really that much better? With a good belt and holster, I doubt if it would even be noticable.
For me though the real problem is that damned round butt frame. It just doesn't fit me right. I've spent a small fortune on conversion grips that haven't helped much at all.
I like my Mountian Gun and will continue to shoot and enjoy it. However, it will start going to gun shows with me and if I can find a plain old heavy barreled, blue model with a square butt in good condition, the trading will begin.
Just my $.02 and something to think about.

Grayfox: I think you make an excellent point regarding the issue of weight. The difference in weight between a standard 4-inch MD-29 and the Mountain Revolver just doesn't seem to me to be enough to get all worked up over. Good grief, most guys carry a variety of things with them when they enter the woods, and most of those items receive much less scrutiny than does the weight of the revolver, at least by those that advocate the Mountain Revolver because of the few ounces is saves. If the gun is there for serious applications, I would think a guy could economize on the weight of some other article, something less important than the gun that may be called upon to save one's life. But to each his own.

If you live west of the Rocky Mountains protection in the woods is serious business. With more and more pro animal rights agendas being moved forward in State legislatures and at the ballot box, these woods are becoming more dangerous every season. Just like we arm ourselves for BG's that want to beat you, when in the woods you need to be properly armed for the BG that wants to eat you. Here in my home state of Oregon, animal attacks are at a all time high. We have bear running the streets of our suburbs and cougars entering elementary schools.
My objection with the Mountain Gun for protection is weight, lack of it, it is way to light to handle continuous fire, especially with one hand and a proper load. A attacking bear at 50 yards is on top of you in less than 4 seconds, a cat, even less. You have to be able to draw a firearm and be able to fire at least 3 shots in those 4 seconds. Also be able to fire single handed, so that your other hand is used to keep the critter teeth from your face. I think caliber is going to vary from person to person. Personally, I cannot do that with a 44 Magnum at all, use a 41 magnum instead. Could not do it with a 41 magnum Mountain Gun either, have to use a 6 inch unlugged 657. The difference in weight is one foot peg for my tree stand. The difference that makes when shooting, saving my life.

Robert

Jimmy,

Most of my experience is with the .41 Magnum and the recoil is very similar to the .44 Magnum so let me share my conclusions.

I'd suggest you skip the pricy Mountain Revolver and buy yourself a standard M-629 with the heavier standard four inch barrel.

After firing a three inch Magnaported, Mountain Revolver (four inch barrel), and standard heavy four inch barrel version of the same N-frame gun in .41 Magnum I've found the standard model handles the best with any load. Most of my work is with full house loads propelling 210-grain slugs at a little over 1300 fps using standard Houge grips. Very controlable and accurate.

Invest the saved money in a heavy belt with an excellent holster and the extra weight won't even be noticed. Trust me, I'm not a body builder and only come to 5'9"...but I've carried my Smith & Wesson N-frames for 12 hours straight on numerous occassions without any discomfort.

Enjoy.

------------------
- Anthony (the crazy Italian with a .41 Magnum)

"Civilized people are taught by logic, barbarians by necessity, communities by tradition, and the lesson is inculcated even in wild beasts by nature itself. They learn that they have to defend their own bodies and persons and lives from violence of any and every kind by all the means within their power."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I bought a new .41 Mag Mountain for $415,
which was a good price for new.
.44 Mags have bothered me in the past, but I can shoot fullhouse loads in this quickly in double action w/ no problem. To me, it is a perfect round and I love the . It is also
very accurate. Just another opinion. Good luck.

Jimmy,
I've thought about getting a mountain gun, but I'm leaning more towards the 41 in that gun than the 44, for the reasons mentioned in other posts. If I were to buy a 44 mountain gun, it wouldnt be a trail gun, but a home defense self defense type gun, shooting light loads or 44spls out of it. My trail gun is 5" 629 Classic with custom Hogue grips. Its traveled many, many miles on back country trails with me over the years, and I'd never part with it. I never notice the weight. You may want to consider the 629 over the M29 if it may be exposed to severe weather conditions, but both are fine weapons. The SS seems to be easier in the up-keep dept, FWIW

------------------
"To die as a warrior means to have crossed swords and either won or lost without any consideration for winning or loosing. There is just not enough time and generally not enough strength in the resolve of any man to do otherwise"-Miyamoto Musashi

Interesting points here Ive a few of my own...As for price I saw a slightly used model in 44mag with eagle grips, not the original grips for $585.....so I passed on it, Id wanted a mate for the other one I have. Recoil is stiff, I primarily shoot the equivalent of 240gr usa's in the 44mags ive got, and after 18 rounds I was putting it away, now in 44spl that little hand held nuclear device came into its own.....you can purchase a set of herrets which will help with the recoil, I use the jordan trooper on the larger 29's and will be accquiring one for the mountan guns.,,--that grip reduces felt recoil like no other grip ive ever used.---I personally dont care for the heavy underlug barrel ala the python, 686, etc...so this minor taper was allright with me.......Ive also one in 45colt and wouldnt mind having another one in that caliber either....fubsy.

Anyone tried the 686 Plus Mountain Gun. This one looks like a real winner to me. Hope the price tag isn't close to $500!

------------------
Buy, Sell and Trade guns in WV!
http://onelist.com/community/WVGunSwap

Back