S&W Model 60 Pro vs. Ruger Sp101 WC

Siggy-06

I'm having a hard time deciding on my next gun purchase and need a bit of input from my fellow revolver aficionados. The two in question are:

S&W Model 60 Pro: 3 in. barrel and Trijicon front sight, along with nice wood grips.

Ruger Sp101 Wiley Clapp: 2.25 in. barrel. Novak cut sights with brass bead front. Wood grip inserts. Not sure if its a limited run or not, but they seem plentiful online.

The Smith is about 40-50 bucks more than the ruger. I may use it as a CCW piece occasionally. Any info is appreciated.

I would go with the Ruger simply because I like the WC model, no Hillary hole, and it's less expensive. My .02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get the Model 101 chambered in .327 Federal Magnum (KSP-321XL) that holds six shots instead of five, if that's a consideration for you.

I've owned both in the 3" versions. I'm more accurate with the S&W though the night site is inadequate. If I were going to shoot much in the way of magnum loads, I would stick with the Ruger. The slightly heavier weight helps.

I still have the S&W model 60, the SP101 went on down the road.

After a bit of online shopping and hanging out at my lgs, I ended up with a beautiful Gp100 4" Stainless. A bit heavier than my first 2 choices, but it'll handle all my .357 loads (and be easier on my wrist). Got a new grip and a Fiber optic front sight on the way. Thanks all.

Siggy,
You will be passing the gun down to your grandchildren.
I thought I would be passing mine down to my son but he already has a grandson and his boy already has his own Rugers.

I have the 60 Pro and a 60-10 along with the 3" SP101. If I didn't reload my own small-gun level loads, I would sell them all and just use my nice 38 snub.

The two model 60s are far better shooters in my hands. Despite a professional action job, the SP101 trigger still feels crude by comparison. I need to practice a lot to get respectable groups out of it, while the Smiths are just right there all the time.

Sorry for the long wait. Here's my puchase decision. GP100 4" stainless, williams fiber optic front sight in red, altamonts diamondback with walnut inlays, mark II narrow rear sight blade, stock springs. I carry her in a safariland paddle holster.

Yes, sadly the weather is starting to warm up rather quick here in FL, so my 638 will be joining me for the summer. Her name is Rebecca, and she dont take no sass. ;)

Back