S&W Model 60 - anyone recognize this barrel porting?

BeornLS

Hi all,

I'm looking at taking a Model 60 in on trade, pre lock, and I was wondering if anyone recognized this porting done on the barrel?

If this is aftermarket would this detract the value in your opinion?

I'm love S&W wheelguns but ashamed to say I'm not anywhere near an expert on them, hence my question.

Thanks in advance!

B

Attachments

• IMG_2194.JPG
    IMG_2194.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_2193.JPG
    IMG_2193.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 260
WOW! That is NOT Magnaport, the biggest/best/oldest porting company around. That doesn't mean yours is not effective but it was obviously machined without thinking about what it would do to a front site.

Actually, anyone with a good drill press, and a quality carbide bit, could do it.

It's drilled holes vs the proper EDM(Electrical Discharge Machining) used by Mag-na-port. Porting needs to be done correctly and that's about the size, shape and angles of the holes. The holes are not drilled. Those were at least done by somebody who knows what he's doing though.
"...this detract the value..." Yep. How much is mostly about what a buyer thinks it's worth.

....but it was obviously machined without thinking about what it would do to a front site.
Ive owned two guns done by Mag-na-port, and both did the exact same thing as you see in Beorn's pics.

This is my Mag-na-ported 696 after a few cylinders full of 240 LSWC's. Theres a red insert in there if you look close.

enhance

It had been a couple of decades since Id shot/owned a handgun that had been Mag-na-ported (last one was my old 4" model 29). I should have thought harder on it, but I wanted the L frame 44spl, and I figured it would be OK.

Its annoying, but the leading can be mitigated a bit if you use plated bullets. It still fouls the front sight pretty quick though.

I never found that the porting did anything to reduce recoil or muzzle rise. All I saw was an increase in ooh's and aah's when you fire them in lower light. You get a big flaming "V" off the ports.

Hearing protection is always wise,but the nature of a short barreled revolver suggests when its put to use (instead of practice) hearing protection is unlikely.

Whether those ports or Magna-Port,they make your ears sting.

Its not unusual to need your handgun in poor light.A flame eruption above the muzzle does not help.

You do what you like.I'll pass on the ports.

I agree with Mr O'Heir on this one,its unlikely those were drilled.Drilling 1/2 of a hole generally goes very badly. I'd guess a mill and an end mill.

Whether more or less,the end mill will push a burr into the bore.A fellow can do a fine job or a hack job of dressing off that burr.

Lead bullets will foul the ports.

Can you tell I'm not a fan?

I would not call it a "Bubba" job.Workmanship is within reason,and its a practical way to port it.

I'm not going to invnt some derogatory term,but that's what "Bubba" suggests.

IMO,the notion a firearm must remain unmodified is pretty small.

That gun is a tool. Might it be worth more without the ports? Yes. If I decided I wanted/needed ports,I might do the same.

But,I confess,probably not to a Colt snake gun

Last edited:
Looks like Bubbamania to me.

I tend to agree with T. O'Heir, it's been done by someone that knows what they were doing. Could actually be factory or a distributors special offering. I have a factory 686 Power-Port that most folks think was a bubba job too. The mothership put a plain black Patridge sight on it instead of the factory orange insert because of the blast from it. Me wonders....with a barrel so short, where else would you put the ports to reduce muzzle flip?

I sort of figure the ports are a secondary retention/close combat backup. Even if the muzzle gets knocked out of line by someone you let get too close the gas from the port at a different angle may encourage someone to leave you alone.

Only half serious.

I wonder how much velocity is loss with that much magaporting?
Anyone ever done a chrono comparison?
I'm not a fan, can't see the reason for it.

the expected velocity loss from what I can remember when I chrono'ed them.... about 100 fps less for each inch of barrel less than 4". I checked the wwb 110gr and rem grn box 125gr. if I remember correctly the wwb was in the mid to high 1,100s and the Remington was in the mid 1,200s. recoil was considerably less with the porting. felt like +p .38s at the most.

I wonder how much velocity is loss with that much magaporting?
Anyone ever done a chrono comparison?
I'm not a fan, can't see the reason for it.

Many times folks have done chrono comparisons. A quick google search will turn that information up.

The loss in general is minimal but varies with the caliber, length of barrel and power of the load. Loss of velocity is minimal because the gas behind the bullet is what is pushing it forward. Normally the bullet is out of the barrel, or leaving the barrel and on it's way by the time the gas behind it reaches the porting or the muzzle.

Personally I've never found porting that useful for the first shot. It's with rapid fire follow up shots that it helps by reducing muzzle flip.

tipoc

I recognize this... it's the work of 3/16 Drill and Bit, a small company oustside of someone' house... let's see I think it's on 123 Garage circle. Next to Hammer and Tong Bluing Company...

Back