S&W MOdel 60 Ammo Question

Bob C

S&W Model 60 Ammo Question

I just bought a S&W Model 60 .357 magnum. First trials went very well with +P .38's, and similar reloads in .357 brass. Triton 158gr. .357's did OK, but seemed a little much for the me and the gun.

I'm assuming too many .357's will be very wearing on the gun, but what about +P .38's?

Can anyone make any recommendations can anyone make for self defense ammo for a "J" frame snubby?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Bob, try out a box of the .357 110gr JHP Win./USA loads available at the local Wal-Mart. Much easier on you that those 158s, and I think it may be a bit more oomph than even the better .38+Ps.:)

In .38+P from a snubbie, I'm also a big fan of the 158 lead hollowpoints. Tests I've seen show the Remington variant moving somewhat faster than the Winchesters but they're all pretty similar. Technically, the bullet design you want is the "LSWC-HP" for "lead semi-wadcutter hollow point". They're primitive, but they open well at the speeds you're dealing with.

The Federal Nyclad 158+P with hollowpoint is almost the same load, but the lead is coated in slick nylon and they move a bit faster. Also very clean on the bore :).

I'd recommend more or less any of the above as the first FOUR rounds up to bat.

For the fifth round in the loaded cylinder, grab some of the knarliest 125grain .357 "crack of doom" monstrosities you can handle short of wrist damage. Think of it as the gun's way of telling you "hey fool, I'm dry, start thinkin' about plan B pronto!".

:D

Put the hot load in the chamber under the hammer. That way it'll be the last fired.

Don't try and do this staggered stuff in the speedloaders. Just run a good 158+P lead hollowpoint as above in 'em.

Thanks for the helpful responses. Tried several loads today, and the most accurate and closest to the sights were the white box W/W 110 .357's, and the W/W 125 +P .38's.

Both were fine in the Model 60, with the blast of course heavier with the magnum load.

Most unsatiscfactory load was the 145 Silvertip .357. Less accurate, more blast, and way too much recoil for me in a "J" frame.

Bob, if the recoil is tolerable, the 110 .357 W/Ws wouldn't be a bad choice as the sole load, all five rounds plus the speedloaders.

Unfortunately, the odds that the W/W 125 .38+P will expand is...well, low. Sorry. Very few .38 JHPs reliably expand from a 2" tube, that's just the facts of life. Which is why many of us talk about pure lead hollowpoints from a 2" .38, they expand faster due to lack of jacket.

Now, if your gun just isn't digging the 158s, you might try the Federal Nyclad 125 .38+P hollowpoint. It's the only 125grain NON-metal-jacketed hollowpoint I know of and was more or less designed as a "snubbie special". I've been considering ordering some myself, Cheaperthandirt has it online, Ammoman could probably get it(?). Can't find it in stores for love or money.

If you're lucky, it'll fly about as well as the 125s you tried.

Jim

I agree with my friend Jim, NY- CLAD, in non plus- P...... I keep a nice supply on hand, for my families use...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It's the only 125grain NON-metal-jacketed hollowpoint I know of and was more or less designed as a "snubbie special". "
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RJ, on the 125 Nyclad .38s, what's your take on +P versus standard pressure in a snub? Will it make any difference at all?

Remember, the guy has an all-steel .357 J-Frame, so he can definately handle the +P pressure...my gut instinct says to go with +P in the same load, hoping for a bit of extra velocity but...I'd be interested in hearing your reasoning otherwise.

I've shot standard-pressure .38 Nyclad 125s out of a much lighter snubbie than his, and they were very easy to handle.

Jim , Notice I said "family use", so I go for the standard load in the older original model 60.... My wife and daughter would skin me alive if I loaded their M-60 with +P's. But the +P would be great in the slightly heavier .357 model 60. Another nice feature is they are nearly flash- free at night, just a small ball of orange fire.

Jim , Notice I said "family use", so I go for the standard load in the older original model 60.... My wife and daughter would skin me alive if I loaded their M-60 with +P's. But the +P would be great in the slightly heavier .357 model 60. Another nice feature is they are nearly flash- free at night, just a small ball of orange fire.

Back