S&W Model 60 .357 Blow Back??

GDB

Inactive
Recently I asked this group about the merits of the S&W Model 60 (.357, 3" barrel) compared to the simalr Ruger SP 101. I bought the Smith and kept the Ruger for comparison. Shooting .38s seemed simialr but there was more noticable blow back (1 or 2 words??) with .357s (130 grain Hydra-Shok) in the 60. I only shot 5 rounds of .357 through the 60 but once or twice I experienced a noticable wind in my face when the gun discharged. In the shot I particularly remember this wind contained particulate matter.

Is blow back like this possible/likely with .357s in the 60? The gun is fairly new and seems as tight as any other revolver I have had. There was no noticable evidence of bullet shaving on the face of the barrel but I shot very few rounds.

If I decide I do not like the gun I think I can work out something with the dealer but I do not want to wait to long so any advise you might give would be appreciated.

Thanks.

GDB

Your 60 may be out of time. One check for gross timing problems is to (indoor range) tape a piece of paper to the stall wall, fire gun with cylinder gap bout even with center of paper and maby 6" out. Do it on each side and for each chamber. All shooting down range of course. If there are spatters of powder on the paper, normal. If there are slivers of bullet metal on paper....not good.

It should NOT be blowing anything back at your face.

Nuther thought, go through this thread for check out of your gun.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57816

Sam

Had a similar problem with a new model 60. Tried several different factory loads in it, always severe 'lead spitting' (sometimes pieces of copper jacket) with all magnum ammo. Sent it back to Smith. They reamed the forcing cone, no problems since. Time from dropping the gun off at FEDEX to returned to my door was about 1 week. Really excellent service from Smith.

Whether it's a timing issue or the forcing cone, send it back to Smith. They should make it right.

Back