S&W Model 586 Nickel (No Dash / Pre-Lock) - Value?

bryguy

Inactive
Hi All,

New here! I inherited a few wheel guns from my dad, but one I'm considering to trade or sell to get a rifle I like.

Anyways, from what I'm researching and understanding about this revolver is that it's pretty rare and I'd like to get an estimated value for it so I know a gun shop wouldn't low-ball me on trade value.
Selling is another option, but I've never done that and I guess I'd prefer to avoid the hassle.

Anyways, it's a Smith & Wesson Model 586 in Nickle with original wood grips. I believe it's manufactured in the 1980's, S&W only nickeled 1 out of 10 mod. 586 back then, it's pre-lock and no dash model. 4" barrel.

I believe the "no dash / pre-lock" aside from being nickel are rare characteristics that add value.

Any ideas of what this is worth?

Thanks!

20190506-093234-sm.jpg

My best guess is $500, $600 tops. Looks like the lug is scratched up in the pic? I'm guessing everything else may be lint? The grips look nice. Assuming everything locks up and its s tight gun, that's what I'd expect around here.

I'm sure others are better versed than myself.

Smith and Wessons don't appreciate in value but do retain it. I have a couple of no dash 686's I bought many many years ago brand new and if any I may make a couple of hundred dollars. The one picture above looks pretty beat up or scratched so maybe no more than 500 dollars.

As others have said, I’d guess about $500.

Personally, I’d keep it and shoot it. In addition to being inherited, the 586s are great shooters.

Nickel isn’t as common but doesn’t necessarily add much value and all 586 no dash models would be pre-lock. Condition is more important than anything. I’d say $600 give or take $100 depending on exact condition. I’d buy that that gun at $500 if I saw it for sale with out even haggling.

I'd agree with reddog, $600 or so is about right. I don't see the M stamp so it hasn't been back for the firing pin bushing recall. Then again, it might not have issues with primer flow in .357 Magnum ammo. It doesn't look to have been fired much so it might never have been noticed.

To those describing that pistol as "beat" looking, I issue a challenge: Go take a clear, in foucs, hi-res picture of your favorite polished stainless or nickel revolver with bright, harsh lighting. I assure you the "perfect" finish will show lots of swirling, nicks and other marks. The picture the OP posted looks pretty typical of what you see in good quality images of those finishes. Nothing at all alarming.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thank you all for your input! I really appreciate it!! Now I have a good idea for trade :)
I'd agree with reddog, $600 or so is about right. I don't see the M stamp so it hasn't been back for the firing pin bushing recall. Then again, it might not have issues with primer flow in .357 Magnum ammo. It doesn't look to have been fired much so it might never have been noticed.

To those describing that pistol as "beat" looking, I issue a challenge: Go take a clear, in foucs, hi-res picture of your favorite polished stainless or nickel revolver with bright, harsh lighting. I assure you the "perfect" finish will show lots of swirling, nicks and other marks. The picture the OP posted looks pretty typical of what you see in good quality images of those finishes. Nothing at all alarming.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
You're right p-990, in person it doesn't look all that bad. High res and harsh light can make almost anything look somewhat awful than reality.

Off topic, your handle.. I assume you have a p99? If you do or don't, my gen 1 p99 is one of my favorite pistols! ;)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

in Michigan 586 and 686's can go as high as 800.00 IN PRISTINE CONDITION. that one appears to be what I would call a "shooter" not a collectible. Keep it and enjoy it.

Counter, this used $630 686 on gunprime has been on the world wide web for over 4 months. No buyers.

The 586 is more desirable and the 686's rubber grips lower the price $100 or so. I agree with the others that the OP's gun's in the $600 range. The only thing going for the 686 is that it's a 4" but still it's a $450/$500 gun at most. IMHO

Back