S&W Model 41

DennisE

I just purchased a fine, unsed S&W 41 with a 7+" barrel (and a muzzle break that goes out another inch or so)and two magazines in the original box. It has a serial number of 95XXX. Does anyone know what year it might have been produced in? Regards, Dennis

I posted on the other thread and suggested that there should be a dash and a number behind the 9xxxx and then someone should be able to help you.

------------------
WHEN IT COMES TO FRIENDS THE SKY IS NOT THE LIMIT

Terridarri: Hi! I just checked again. There is only the 5 digit serial number on the frame (95xxx), no dash & no additional numbers. Regards, Dennis

I only have a quick reference quick for the S&W company so it doesn't give detail the same as Roy Jenk's book but it a dateline for the modern autoloading pistols (39,41,44,48,52) of 1854 - 1970 with serial number range 1001 - 11500. So I'm guessing yours would be the late 1960s.
Perhaps someone else can chine in with more accurate data.

Dennis,
Your 7 3/8" barrel (not inc the muzzle brake) M41 was made in 1967.
S&W dropped the 7 3/8" barrel in 1978 and remain with the 5 1/2" and 7" barrels only.
Good luck with your pristine choice.

Citizen X and the rest of you - Thanks for the help! Do any of you know by chance when S&W started, and stopped, putting muzzle brakes on the Model 41? Regards, Dennis

From 1957 (1st year of manufacture), the 7 3/8" barrel M41 was offered with the detachable muzzle brake.
Only 680 were sold in that 1st year. In 1958, 9,800 were sold.
Then other .22LR barrel lengths (and even a .22 Short with aluminum slide in 1961) were introduced that didn't need to use the muzzle brake.
The muzzle brake would still have been offered (as a very rare accessory now) up until the 7 3/8" barrels were dropped from production, in 1978.
The 7" barrels (1978 on) have no provision for them.

Back