S&W Model 41 rear sight adjustment??

Randy63

Hello all,
I piced up a used model 41 S&W with the 7" barrel last week. I would guess it's about 10 years old. It doesn't have the cocking indicator and the top isn't tapped for a scope mount. I took it out yesterday and it was the most accurate handgun I've ever fired. The windage was dead on. I was shooting at 50 yards and had to adjust the rear sight elevation. To get it just right at that range I had to back off the rear sight elevation screw almost all the way. There is basically no more room to back it off any further I'd like to know if this is normal for the model 41 Smith.

Thanks in advance,
Randy

Two questions first. Which set of sights does it have, the older S&W sight, or the newer S&W copy of a Millet sight? Secondly, what ammo were you using. These guns are "optimized" for target ammo (standard velocity). With some of the hyper velocity stuff they do tend to lack enough elevation adjustment. (higher velocity shoots lower in these)

S&W 41

Great gun, by the way! Real tack drivers.

I've got a 7" barreled mdl 41 I bought years ago at a auction of guns confiscated by the state fish and wildlife commission.

Set me back $110 !!!!

Thanks for the reply sw627pc,

My 41 has the older S&W sights. I was using Federal high velocity ammo that comes 550 to the carton at Wal-Mart. I would have never thought that high velocity ammo would lower the point of impact. Why is that?

Randy

Back