S&W Model 4006 ?

ReserveCop

I recently saw a Model 4006 in stainless for sale. I was told it was an early version (i.e. made in the same year the CHP starting to carry this weapon). This gun appeared to be in very good condition with some minor holster wear on the slide.

What is your opinion of this gun?

What would be a fair price including 2 old, but in good condition, 11 round magazines?

If there anything special I should look for (i.e. a certain level Serial Number, etc.) to help make sure this is a good gun?

Thanks for your opinions.

Im glad to see you are looking to buy a used S&W. I really like the 4006. I havent heard many bad things about it other than the straight backstrap. I would estimate you would be paying around $300-350 for the one you mentioned. Let us know how it goes.

Tim :)

most, if not all of the early 4006's (i have one purchased the first 6 months they were out.) suffered from two main problems;

1. the slide lock often engaged with rounds, usually two, left in the magazine.
2. many were serious JAM-O-MATICS. mine produced every kind of jam and misfeed known to mankind.

SOLUTIONS:

1. you can return the pistol to S&W for repair under warranty. they will replace the recoil spring guide rod combo. the best repair is to (if you have the skill) disassemble the plunger on the guide rod and replace the internal spring with a stronger one or cut a piece of hard rubber or neophrene to fit the hole and use as a spring. Cylmer Arms (now Springco) built me a replacement RecoilMaster guide rod with a spring so strong that it is difficult to push out the slide stop (i use a nylon mallet). end result is the slide stop never engages until mag is empty.

2. Most of my feed and ejection malfunctions were traced to a combo of weak factory mag springs and mal-adjusted magazine lips.

all in all a trip to Cylinder and Slide for a reliability package and a combat trigger job, a new recoil guide rod/recoil spring and replacement of each and every mag spring with Wolff's extra power mag springs did the trick. now it is a pistol that i would and have trusted my life to.
before the repairs i used it to train new shooters to clear jams.
pukeface.gif

How would you know if the Model 4006 is such an early production handgun?

When did they correct these early problems?

Do I have to look for a certain level Serial number?

I don't want a gun I have to fix.

Thank you.

I believe that the early series 4006s had stainless steel triggers and hammers. These were changed to corbon steel in later 4006s

There also seems to be a continuing problems with S&W 40s -- frame and rails cracking. A lot of police departments have noticed this with their guns; some of our local departments are scrambling to find a replacement weapon.

How can you tell the difference between a "stainless steel" and "carbon steel" hammer and trigger?

Are they different colors?

Which is better on the Model 4006?

thanks

I think the biggest drawback is the weight for the size of the pistol. They are heavy puppies, and I can't see the justification for that. I had one until 3 weeks ago, and thought the trigger was just ok, had better than average accuracy, but was just too heavy for what it was.

This is definatly not a carry gun!

Unless u have on your duty holster, You are going to walk like you have an anvil in your pocket.

My 659 is the same way. Its a range gun. Not a carry gun.

Back