S&W Model 38 questions

I am still considering moderately priced options in a defense gun for my mother. Replies I got from an earlier thread made me think of other options besides Taurus and Rossi. Looked at a recent catalog from KY Imports, Inc. They have a .38 caliber snubby that looks interesting. It is a S&W model 38. It has a shrouded hammer, which I like. It comes in good, very good, and excellent condition. You can get these in all blued finish or blued with stainless cylinder. Would there be any advantage to the stainless cylinder over the blued besides looks, and is it worth the extra $20 that it would cost? I cannot find information about this gun. Could anyone please help? I mostly want to know about it's reliability and are there any after-market grips for it. The wooden ones it comes with do not look comfortable. As always all information is greatly appreciated. By the way the one in "Excellent" condition is $249.99 with stainless cylinder, in case anyone else is interested in purchasing one.

Very good handgun. S&W's name for it is the "Bodyguard Airweight."

LOTS of aftermarket grip options, from rubber to wood to ivory to probably some others as well.

The gun is based on S&W's J frame, the smallest frame now in production.

The frame is an aluminum alloy, meaning that it's lighterweight than a standard steel framed gun, hence the term airweight.

The stainless cylinder gives the advantage of greater corrosion resistance when combined with the aluminum frame.

Personally I don't like the looks of the combination.

ULTIMATE

My wife carries one.

Cooper, Askins, Jordan, Skelton, and a few others' wifes carried them, too.

Suggest M38 as BEST snubby.

It was good enough for Richardo Tubbs in "Miami Vice." He took out LOTS of bad guys with it and hardly missed. When holstered it didnt even print in his Hugo Boss suit.;)

Back