S&W Model 360 AirLite Ti...

Kentucky Rifle

Last thursday, I was in a gun shop buying a box of 50 .38 special Nyclads. This is what my wife and I like to shoot from our snubs. (And they're difficult to find around here!) Since a guy can't just go in, buy ammo and leave, I began to look around. A man in his early 40's drove up, came in and said that he was going for his CCW this weekend. I thought, "Good for him"! Then he explained that he was a brand new shooter and sometimes carried a lot of money on the job, thus he wanted protection. I began to eavesdrop. The pistol he picked out and the one the counter lady sold him (incredibly) was a Smith&Wesson model 360, .357 magnum. Now as you know, that pistol weighs in at 12 ounces! He also purchased a box of full power .357 cartridges. Let's see...12 ounce pistol, full power .357's, and a new shooter. I know the pistol was purcased specifically for a purpose, but can you just imagine what this guy will feel like when he touches off that first .357 from that light pistol? I tried to take him aside and convince him to get a .38 special with a heavier frame, but it didn't work. He had been sold on the fact that the 360 weighed only 12 ounces and would be very easy to carry all day. He also seemed to be convinced that the .357 was the "man-stopper" he needed. He indicated that he was going to take his practical with his new pistol too. I wonder if he passed? Here in Kentucky, you must get 11 bullets in the black, out of 20 from 21 feet out. I felt sorry for him. I wonder if he even finished the test. I guess this is one of those "live and learn" lessons that we've all been through.

Kentucky Rifle

Back