S&W Model 29 and K-38 Auction Wins

lamarw

I had an enjoyable time at a live auction this past weekend and won a couple of nice revolvers. The first is a S&W Model 29 (no dash) which is very close in production to the "Dirty Harry" revolver. It was manufactured in 1960 and still looks as good as new. It has the 6 & 1/2" barrel, Coke grips/stocks, and the factory clam shell wood presentation box.

The second revolver is a K-38 (Pre-Model 14) Masterpiece. It is in very good condition. I already have a K-38 (Pre-Model 15). So, these two can go side by side in my rack. The difference in the two is the barrel length. The Pre 15 has a 4" barrel and is known as the Combat Masterpiece. The Pre 14 has a 6" barrel and is simply known as the Masterpiece. Other than barrel length, I think they are the same - same. The new one, to me, was manufactured in 1950.

Attachments

• Model29A.jpg
    Model29A.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Model29B.jpg
    Model29B.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 94
  • K-38 (Pre-Mod 14).jpg
    K-38 (Pre-Mod 14).jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 113
Very nice! I’m jealous of my competition! I too am seeing the value of those K frame Smith’s I overlooked in my youth!

You are correct natman, as to the nomenclature. There seems to be more fans of the K-38 than the Dirty Harry. :)

I appreciate the nice comments. I am hoping they might arrive today at my FFL. It would make for a nice weekend.

Last edited:
Back