S&W Model 29-2 Nickel - yeah or nay?

the45er

6" bbl - no box - very good condition $1500

At first I was going to jump on this but after surfing around a little on the internet, I'm not sure it's that good of a deal.

What say you?

Friend of mine bought one of those back in 76 for $450.

It was a hyper inflated price, then...still is, in my opinion...:rolleyes:

Yes, Gun only is about $300 out of line. That’s considering gun is it 95% with original grips.
$1200 is average price for 29-2 hi condition, Gun only. I find Nickel S&Ws unless NIB or like NiB are hard to get rid of. I got 57 83/8” Nickle for close to a year ago. Haven’t had any luck trading for a 29-2. 6.5”. If it was blue would have been gone in heart beat.

6" bbl - no box - very good condition $1500
At first I was going to jump on this but after surfing around a little on the internet, I'm not sure it's that good of a deal.
What say you?
That’s rippin’ the wallet outta your keister for a merely “good condition” 29-2. :rolleyes:

Not to mention, S&W’s old-school Nickel-finished revolvers are waaay over-valued in comparison to their same-condition blued counterparts.

As someone else said, if it was in near-mint/LNIB condition, that would be different.

I'll leave the value decision to others, but will tell you that my old 29 would shoot loose pretty easily with magnum ammo. Collector's value aside, they're not great shooters. So I wouldn't buy it, as I'm not into safe queens.

You COULD offer him $1200 though, right?

29-2s don't have the strengthening package which came about in 1989, so they don't make the best shooters, unless you keep pressures down. My 29-2 is a Mag-na-ported 4" and as a defensive pistol I keep velocity down to under 1100 fps. Faster follow up shots and less wear on the revolver.

Vuv3E5g.jpg

29-2s don't have the strengthening package which came about in 1989, so they don't make the best shooters, unless you keep pressures down.

If you keep the pressure within standard industry limits the 29-2s are fine shooters. They just usually need retuning before the later guns with the "endurance package" do.

I've got one, and shoot it with loads in the 1100fps range, not because I'm concerned about wear or stress on the gun, but because full house magnum loads in that gun hurt a bit, even with pachmayr grips. Just not fun. I have other .44mags with different grip shapes for shooting full house magnum loads that don't hurt, and I use them for that rather than the S&W.

Back