S&W Model 27

kgs

I have a Smith and Wesson model 27 in .357 mag that I bought new back in 1988.
Whatever happened to this particular revolver? If it was discontinued, then why? Does it have any collectible value?

Thanks for your expertise. :D

kgs.

The 27's just fell out of favor and the lighter and less expensive 586/686 took over. The guns have come back in the Performance Center line, with the addition of a eight shot cylinder and a price tag ranging from $750 to $1000 in the retail market. I sell 27's (actually any N frame) pinned, premium blue finish and in 100% condition, for about $550 at auction and they usually sell fast.

Robert

Smith & Wesson model 27's production was scaled back to almost nil, with just a few unit's being assembled from
left-over part's.:( But the good news is, the company is
offering a Performance Center model called rightfully so,
the 627PC.:):D These weapons are quite a bit more expensive,
as I've heard figures starting at around the $750.00 mark.:eek: The early model ".357 Magnum" would have some
collector interest; but that precluded the model 27 designation, dating back to when the gun was introduced in
1935.:rolleyes: Hope this helps some!!!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

I was more or less shocked when the Model 27 was discontinued, because at one time this model had been the flagship of S&W's product line. I don't blame the company for discontinuing it if it was no longer economical to produce, although I have to say that new 27s were rarely available for purchase in my area even when they were still in production. I remember two of them that I had a chance to get, but let go. Now, of course, I wish I'd bought both of them! Thank goodness I did buy two others when they were new: a 4-inch blue and a 6-inch nickel. Both are fine guns, and I'm very glad to have them.

I found a Model 27-2 at my favorite pawn shop 3 years ago and picked it up for $300. It was a great shooter, but I began having trouble with the crane retaining screw at the fore end of the sideplate. It wouldn't tighten up. Checked out the threads with close up lenses, and they were fine. Turns out it was the threaded hole in the frame that was stripped. I called S&W and sent it in for repair. They got back to me and said a new frame was required since the threaded hole in it could not be adequately repaired, and it would cost $140. I thought it over and decided to go for it since I loved the gun.

Not only did Smith send me back my gun with a new frame (now a 27-3), but the entire firearm was factory refurbished inside and out at no extra cost including factory bluing and action tuning. I'd swear it's like having a brand new gun! And it is very accurate as well. I have had similar good luck with Smith on a Model 59 pistol repair too.

I am so sad to say that as long as the infamous Clinton/Cuomo "agreement" is in place, I will not do business with them at all and sent email to Shultz (when he signed it) to that effect.

The Model 27 was an example of what was going wrong with S&W for years - corporate bean counters. Once the finest .357 made, S&W dropped the pinned barrel, dropped the pinned front sight, dropped the counterbores for the case rims, dropped the quality of the bluing, dropped the internal polishing that gave it a nice action, and, I believe, even dropped the fine checkering on the top strap. The L-frames were introduced, stainless became more common, and sales of blue revolvers with NO special features went down - duh! By the time they dropped the revolver from their regular product line, it was only a shadow of its former self.

My model 27 is blued with a 6" bbl. and it is in like new condition.(maybe 200 rounds max have been put through it.) Like I said at the start of this thread, I bought it new back in 1988. I guess I am wondering if it is worth it to hold onto this piece?:confused: I am not much of a handgunner and would consider selling or trading it to someone who could appreciate it more than I do.

What do you guys think?

Regards,

kgs.

KGS. S&W Mod. 27's have been going for around $350 here at Tucson gun shows. I got mine, a super tuned one, for that price. I also have a Mod. 28, the lower priced version without all the frills. I won't part with either of them.
While I am predominently a fan of the .44 mag., I am coming to the realization that the .357 mag. is a more useful gun, in more ways than one.'If it were me? I'd keep it. They don't make them like that anymore, more's the pity.
Paul B.

Greeting's Again Everyone:

As my friend Paul B. suggested, if you have a good model 27
Smith & Wesson; then by all means hold onto it.:D:) I think
that's damn good advice, from a fellow of expert caliber.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

627 Special Edition

Within the last two years, S&W has produced "Special Edition" 627s. These are all stainless, N Frame, five inch barrel with full underlug, gold dot front and adjustable rear sight, .357 magnum/.38 Special six shooters. I believe they are terrific revolvers (I own two of them) -- beautiful works of the Smith art. However, they are difficult to find and as Special Editions are not included in the Smith catalog.

Back