S & W Model 17 Frame "Size"

badriver

I am not sure if this is the right place for a couple of my questions but I'll ask anyway.

I just picked up a second hand M17-3 at a gun show. It has a square grip, but it feels to small to me. I need to know if this gun is classified as "J", "K" or some other frame classification as I would need this info to order new larger grips...if they make them.

If they do, does anyone know what company does and where I could order them? Any help will be appreciated.

The model 17 is a "K" frame gun. It sounds like you would like the old style factory Goncalo Alves over size target grips.
Unfortunately these are becoming difficult to find.

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!

That would be the "L" frame. Essentially the same frame size for S&W 686, Colt Python, and Ruger GP-100.

------------------
TaxPhd

"Those who live by the sword are probably pretty f***ing good at it."

"Instructions for a successful gunfight: Front Sight, Press Trigger, repeat
as necessary." - B. Braxton

Yelp. The Smith "K" or "L" would be the closets.
Do I see a project in the making? :)

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!

Gunslinger,

You are correct the M17, also known as the .22 S&W Masterpiece is on a K frame. No big project, I'm just looking for a larger target type grip.

Used K-22 target grips are quite common at larger gun shows.

For some reason or another, people seem to want to replace the factory target grips.

These usually wind up in the "odds and ends" box that many dealers have on their table and can be had for around $20 in good conditon.

Warning, take your gun along to try for fit<s> The N frame grips look quite close, but will not fit properly.

Jim

------------------
Lay up some blackpowder and flints
The rest we can build, if need be

Back