S&W Model 14

riverdog

Found a nice little Model 14 .38 spl and couldn't pass it by -- tried to, but it was just too clean. Is the M-14 good for a steady diet of .38+P ammo? I would guess it is in that it shares the K-Frame with .357 Mags, but is it really?

The K-frame .38s, depending on when they were made, are somewhat dimensionally different than the .357s.

I wouldn't want to shoot a lot of +P through it.

M 14

I agree with the recommendation not to run too many hot rounds through it. They are excellent shooters - ones I've owned tended to like lighter target loads.

Just out of curiosity, what are you finding them going for now? Around here, $250-350.

- - - D.

I got this one for $265 and my M-28 for $275, but the M-14 is in much better shape looks-wise.

I've been shooting mostly Ruger's an have just recently started shooting the S&W's. I still like Ruger for its tough and rugged dependability, but the Smith's just feel good. I'll restrict the M-14 to WC/SWC target loads.

The M14 is as strong as any other S&W K frame 38 Special. However, they were made as target guns. Occasional heavy loads won't destroy it overnight, but would you drive your car at redline everywhere?

Heat treament or metallurgy has been changed to adapt to +p or +p+ loads. Shoot target loads in an old target gun, and it'll serve you a lifetime. Shoot combat loads in an old target gun, and you'll be shopping again.

4V50

Concur. Shot the M-14 along with the M-28 today and the 14 warmed up with just wadcutter target ammo. It did nice though and only needs a bit of sight adjustment. Function was flawless but I will need to install some Hogue monogrips. The original S&W wood grips just don't work.

If it's a post-1958 gun(has model number on frame visable when cylinder is out)then it's ok to shoot +P ammo, although a constant diet will cause more wear and tear. Info from a couple of American Rifleman articles from the 80's.

Riverdog--what "dash number" Model 14 is it??? That'll tell us whether or not its "Factory Approved" for Plus-P's...tho' even if its not, a few once in a while will do your Model 14 no harm....mikey357

Well, alrighty then!!! You have a "four-screw" K-38...nice gun!!! I INADVERTENTLY helped MRS. 3-5-7 acquire one last year...a guy at work was going thru a messy divorce, and needed to part with some guns for CASH, so...I brought it home, thinking about buying it for myself...the Mrs. sees me "playing" with it, and asks "What is that?" I 'splain...she looks at said K-38, pronounces it a "fine gun", and asks what David wants for it...I tell her, whereupon she digs into her purse, hands me the stated amount, and says to "tell David I said 'Thanks'"!!! Oh, well...I can probably use it sometime...IF I ask NICELY...but, back to the "four-screw" K-38's...the Factory will tell you that they ARE NOT approved for "Plus-P's", but...keep in mind that the Model 19 .357 Magnum, ON THE SAME K-frame, was introduced about five or six years BEFORE your gun was made, so...occasional use of "Plus-P" ammo should do it no harm whatsoever!!!....mikey357

Back