S&W Mod41

Nukem

Anyone know how to strip the magazine for cleaning? I tried the floor plate but I must be missing something here.

TIA

Nukem, I may be off base here but have you tried compressing the spring underneath the follower and taking the follower out of the top like a 1911 mag? George

If you push the loading thumb button down, there will be a notched point where the button can be pulled out the side slot. The follower will then slide out without the button on it.

Hi, Nukem and George,

Sorry, George, but a Model 41 mag can't be stripped that way.

Nukem, press in on the little button in the floorplate with any convenient tool (a ball pen will do nicely) and pull the floorplate forward until there is a gap between the floorplate and the back of the magazine. insert a small screwdriver and pry the floorplate forward; it will almost pop out.

The rest is obvious.

Jim

P.S. 700PSS Shooter, with the floorplate on, you can't get the follower down far enough to allow the thumb piece to come out.

Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited May 18, 2000).]

Jim,

For the last five years or so, S&W's mags for the M41 have had solid floorplates - there's no hole for the little button. This is apparently a design mod to prevent conversion of the 10-round mags to illegal (gasp!) 12-rounders.

I've read that it's possible to drill a hole in just the right place to let the disassembly button protrude.

Hi, Matt,

Thanks for the info. I know the mags I have are older than that, and I apologize for not being up to date. You are undoubtedly right that the change was made to keep us lunatics from making the Model 41 into an assault rifle. I'll probably have to take off the bayonet lug and the flash hider too.

Jim

Back