S&W mod 60 or Ruger SP101

t45

Not trying to start a war. That being said, I've handle both the mod 60 and the sp101 and really can't decide which one I want more. It will be a carry gun that might take the place of my semi's. Both have good triggers, the SW 60 probably felt a touch better. Fit and finish are about the same with the SW maybe a tad better. The weights are close with short barrels. If I choose the SW, it will be my 1st ever. I have a Ruger Security Six 4" in the safe so I know the quality that Ruger puts out (at least they did in the 80's when mine was built). I'd like to hear from you that have had a similar decision and why you chose.

My friend has an SP101 with a good trigger. The trigger on mine is pretty stiff. I've not shot a modern S&W with a trigger as poor as the one on my SP101.

Smith model 60 with 1 7/8" barrel weighs 19 oz.

Ruger SP 101 weighs 25 oz with a 2 1/4"

You decide if weight is advantage.

David

I've owned both. In my experience the Ruger wins in the recoil department while the S&W wins on the trigger and accuracy. I no longer have the Ruger but still have the Smith. Either one is a good gun, you just have to chose based on your priorities.

I currently own the SP101. I used to own the Smith. Both are great firearms, so you can't go wrong. It really boils down to which one you get in your hands on first. Just go with your instinct, you won't regret it.

As tim225 alluded to above, the ammo you intend to run through it matters.

+P ammo is easier to control through the Ruger.

I carry the S&W 60 . The trigger, quality, accuracy and lastly style made the difference. Nothing is wrong with the Ruger. I own a Ruger but the S&W just seems right for me.

David's, my S&W 60 has a 2-1/8" barre so a 1/8" difference is pretty much no difference and the 5-6 ounces in weight makes my 60 easier to carry. The 60 has a much better SA trigger and the DA trigger is about the same weight but with a much smoother pull and crisper break.

Last edited:
Tough decision. I have both. The Smith will hold it's resale better than the Ruger. I see no difference in accuracy unless you are talking about the Mod. 60 with adjustable sights.
A simple spring swap will benefit both triggers DA.
Overall, if I had to sell one of mine the Ruger would be the one to go but it would be a very close call.
Mod._60_Pro_Series.jpg

20170119_221609_zpsbdkyof5p.jpg

My friend has an SP101 with a good trigger. The trigger on mine is pretty stiff. I've not shot a modern S&W with a trigger as poor as the one on my SP101.

Has your friend installed a hammer spring kit on his SP101? My SP101 spurless had a stiff and gritty trigger pull. I was able to remedy that by changing out the hammer and trigger springs and cleaning the debris that was leftover during the manufacturing process. My trigger is now light and glass smooth.

I think the Ruger LCR makes for a more apt comparison to a J-frame S&W in terms of size, weight and configuration.

"Has your friend installed a hammer spring kit on his SP101?"

No, he is not a gun guy at all. It's his only firearm.

I am too lazy to bother with mine. I have plenty of handguns that can do the same job but already have way better triggers.

I have both. I prefer the older no lock Smith and Wesson models for most purposes but the Ruger is king for recoil management if shooting a lot of stout loads. Buy both, they complement each other.

I would choose the model sixty. Not the one from the performance center as I love the look of the other one in the 3'' barrel.

Both fine guns. Can't really go wrong with either.

I like the trigger and form factor of my 3" model 60. It is lighter than the SP and has a classic look (especially in the non-Pro configuration).

On the other hand... the 3" SP I had actually carries better in some ways (particularly the front sight), handles .357 better (no question) and generally averages about $100 cheaper on top of all that.

I gave the SP I had away to a very valued friend; you could call him a brother. And even though I still have the model 60 and like it fine, I will more than likely get a replacement SP down the road. So take that endorsement for what you will.

Well today I stopped at my LGS and handled several different revolver. Here is my take on them.

Kimber K6- very nice fit and finish. Great DAO trigger. Crimson trace. Price? well there is that issue. $947
Ruger SP 101- very good fitment. Pretty good DA trigger. Great SA trigger.
S&W Mod 60- great DA and SA trigger. Lighter than the Kimber and Ruger. Very good fitment and lockup.
Charter Arms 44spec- average to good fit and finish. DA trigger was a little gritty but the SA was very nice.

Thank you for everyone's input but I think I'm going with the Ruger SP101. Not that any of the guns mentioned above are not fine revolvers in their own right. As mentioned in my original post, this will replace or at least be in my rotation of carry guns. I'm thinking about going with a set of Badger boot grips to compliment the Ruger. Now, to decide on a holster. Decisions, decisions.....

Last edited:
Back