S&W Mod. 38 W/ stainless cylinder

burrhead

I'm starting to see blue Mod 38s with stainless cylinders for sale in Shotgun News or Gun list; can't remember which. I remember 10, 15 years ago seeing a couple of these, supposedly so one could use +P. I'm not so sure about the merits of that. Anyway, anybody know the story behind this variation?

Thanks in advance.

Burr,

The first ones done up like this were apparently in 1968 at the request of a company called Michigan Police Supply. Those used a blued frame with a nickled cylinder.

Some Model 49s were also made in this guise for the same company.

Over the years this has apparently been done a couple of times, again with the nickle cylinders, and later with stainless cylinders.

I don't think the use of stainless in the cylinder would make any real difference to whether or not the gun could use +P ammo.

I've seen 38s, 49s, and at least 1 36 made this way.

Mike is correct and they were for the Michigan State Police. They are carried in the leather lined gun pocket in the heavy winter coat. The cost is long and covers their service pistol, with the mod 38 they can approach a car that they pulled over and have their hand on the gun without having to worry about drawing from under the long coat.

Back