S&W mod 28 opinons

LorenzoSD

Inactive
What are your opinions on the S&W 28 compared to other smiths mine is a 6" barrel so let me know what you think I havent had a chance to fire it yet plus I have never fired a .357 before so I also have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks

LorenzoSD

The 28 is nothing more than the 27 with a bead blasted blue finish and was designed with law enforcement in mind. It is a N frame and should be exceptionally strong for the 357 caliber. I have not had the opportunity to fire one, but all the reviews of the model 27 were good.

I have owned 27's an 28's with 4, 6 and 8 3/8 inch barrels. They are fine firearms. They shoot well and should last forever even with magnum ammo. I fired several thousand very hot loads out of all of them when I was in bowling pin shooting. I never had one break down...ever!

It`s a winner.

I was in a dealer (thief) the other day and he had a 4" that he wanted almost $500 for.:eek: I`m now looking for one at the gunshows. :D

If I wanted a duty/belt gun for the .357, one which I would use day after day, I think the Model 28 would be one I would choose. S&W N-frames are good solid guns and the slightly plainer finish that the Model 27 would be no problem. In fact, it might be a plus since it should stand up to rugged use without you being worried about messing up the finish.

Got one just like it. You'd be hard pressed to find a sturdier DA platform for .357 Magnum loads. It shoots like a BB gun when loaded with .38 Special wadcutters, and even full-power .357 Magnums are easy to shoot. The N-frame is more than beefy enough for handloading experiments near the maximum for .357s.

LorenzoSD,

I purchased a 6" Highway Patrolman a little over a year ago. It's probably one of the best values in my gun safe!!

As others have mentioned, the only real difference between a model 28 and most other Smiths is the finish. Very little polishing, bead blasted, and a matt blue. When it comes to performance: "It's all Smith".

If you are new to the .357, you couldn't pick a better gun to start with. Except for the muzzle blast (which any .357 is going to have) even full house .357 loads are quite pleasant to shoot. Recoil is minimal.

Good Luck...

Joe

Greeting's LorenzoSD,

As other's have stated, the model 28
is one of the finest Smith's to come
out of the Springfield stable's in
many years. I've owned at least one
4" and 2X 6" models since 1970 and
all were excellent shooter's. Never,
ever had a problem with them; as I
recall. I used my last 6" model in
postal pistol match competition for
a while; always scoring between 98
and 100. Congrat's on your purchase
and I hope you enjoy it, as much as
I did mine.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

My 28 is also a Highway Patrolman version. and the price was perfect my friend is moving to England so he cant take it with him and since I am such a good friend he gave it to me so I really didnt purchase it.

LorenzoSD

I have been lusting over a 27 or a 28 for years. Since I don't plan on packing a .357, I would love to have an N frame. Problem is, I can't find a reasonably priced one in my area.

I really like the fit and finish of the Model 27 and the old .357, but except for looks, the Model 28 is just as good.

Jim

The workmanship on my 1970s 6-inch Model 28 is so good that it's easy to forget it was considered an economy model. For great balance and pure shooting pleasure it's my favorite .357.

I have a Model 28 6" and it has to be one of the most durable handgun this side of a Ruger Redhawk .357, which I also own and it's a reloaders dream.

7th

Hmmm....
Just today I fondled one of the nicest revos I've ever seen, including three or four Pythons.
I thought he said it was a model 28, he wanted $535 for it on consignment
It was plated in spotless nickel.
It had a 6" barrel.
Guessing mid 70's.
The sweetest trigger I never thought could be on a DA.

But...
it was a .44 magnum.

"Pinned and recessed" to boot.

So is this a 28 in .44 or a 29 or some other such?

And lastly, who will pitch in to help me give this poor orphan a good home?

Duh.
Went back today.
Of course, you are right.
Am not so familiar with S&W, but now I know the 28 from the 29!

Still purty.

Back