S&W mod 19/66 w/ 2.5 inch barrel--opinions?

Samuel

Inactive
I'm a big fan of the S&W model 19 with the four inch barrel and was considering adding its smaller brother to the collection. Anyone here use it for home/car defense and occasional ccw? Or is the model 13/65 with the 3 inch tube and the fixed sights a better option? Thanks for all opinions.

I'd go with the model 60 in .357 with a 2 1/8 inch barrel. You're giving up one round and less than a half an inch in barrel length, but getting a much more concealable package. Just a suggestions.

The 13 3" is probably better, but

the 19 in 2 1/2" is sweet. I don't care if it can't extract magnum cases all the way like the 13. This is the one pistol I'm permanently bonded to. Grab it, it's a classic.

Unless it's nickel. If it is, the SOBs are trying to sell you a bill of goods. Let me take care of straightening them out for you. You don't want nickel anyway.

I have the 2.5inch 66 with Uncle Mikes grips that I use all winter as my carry gun and have great faith in it and would recomend it to any one. The adjustable sight are perfect and if youmchange loads you can re zero to fit. I carry mine stoked with 145gr. Silvertips. Factory of course. One of the main advanteges is that has to be one of ths loudest handguns made, so even if you miss it is very scary.

Samuel,

This choice you are contemplating has a simple solution. Since you already have a M-19 and are so fond of it get the 2-1/2 incher to keep it company.

OTOH, you might find that the 2-1/2 incher is too short to balance correctly in your hands. If that happens, then get the three inch M13/65.

Then get ready cuz there are some 3 inch M-66s out there and if ya stumble onto one of those... get it!

Then get ready again, cuz what with that 3 inch M-13 you already done got, you'll absolutely NEED a 3 inch M10 to go with it! Heck, when you get that M-10 in 3 inch, RB, that may just be your final K-frame gun you'll ever want.

Except maybe for a K-22 and a K-38, you'll NEED a minimum of one each of those. But then that is a different subject all together, isn't it?

I had a 2.5" M19 briefly, and never liked it as much as I do my 3" M13 or 3" M65. Love the 3" K-frame. Just a pleasure to handle and shoot. If it were available in 3" tube, I'd go for the 66 or 19, but those are scarce.

I have had both. Skeeter always said that the snub was no easier to conceal than the 4 inch, but the 4 inch was easier to shoot.

There has been at least one run of 3" M66s of the latest generation. I was lucky enough to happen upon a used one.:D I wouldn't have any reservations about a 2.5", though. They certainly are more prevalent, and 'should' be cheaper because of it.:)

I've had a 2.5" M19 for around thirty years. It's nickel plated and really starting to show spotting and staining. It is, however, a great shooter (if you're not prone to be intimidated by muzzle blast). Shooting the shorter barrel is noticibly different than shooting my 4" version. It's a little heavy for my taste as a CCW (I agree that the M36 is better suited for that role). Anyway, it's always in the eye of the beholder.

Maxwayne,

Skeeter's right.

In my experience, generally the hardest part of the gun to conceal isn't the barrel, it's the grip, especially on a hip holster. It's a little less so on a shoulder holster, depending on its angle.

Back