S&W mod. 15 or Colt official police? Pls. help me Decide!

Labuyo

Both guns are priced for $180 each. The Colt has a lot of bluing removed and some scratches(nothing deep). The Smith has some minor holster wear and it has adj. sights. The Colt has a better cylinder lock-up but no adj. sights. As far as the blueing on the Colt, I have no clue why some of it are gone, it sure doesn't look like holster marks. Maybe an aborted rebluing attempt? I want a revolver as a trail,hiking and tackle gun (a beater gun!). I think any of these 2 will fit the bill, I just need some input just to be sure before I let go of my hard earned money. BTW, the store/range owner will let me try 10rds for function testing. Thanks in advance!:confused:

The Smith.

Adjustable sights, a vast array of holsters, grips, etc. There're pro'lly a gazillion K-frame guns out there, and parts will be available forever.

Buy the S&W 15, and put the Colt OP on layaway and pay it off after Christmas!! (This is what i would do, $180 is a good price for either of them.)

Shoot em both, see which one follows you home. If shooting at an indoor range.....tape a piece of blank paper on each side of your booth....shoot with gun bout a foot from paper....each side. You are doin a rougn crown n timing check. If pieces of bullet in paper she is shavin and spittin bullet material out at the cylinder/barrel gap. Power residue is normal Metal flakes not normal.

Also see Jim March's thread on revolver check out. http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57816

I lean toward older Smiths but some actually like Colts.:D

Sam

Had an OP once; when I fired it I found that the timing was off to the point that the firing pin sometimes struck to one side of the primer, causing failure to fire. Gun shop took it back.

I personally like Colts better but the timing is delicate and you have to check it carefully.

Which to buy

First, parts for the S&W(Scared & Wimpy) are plentiful as noted in another reply. Second. Although the older Colts came from the factory with a pretty sweet action, they seem to be more delicate and difficult to work on. Just about anyone can do a credible action job on a Smith. Just a couple of things to consider. Good luck. :)

I'm also from Illinois (Chicago burbs). If your not too far from Chicago I would suggest you check out the Kane County gun show at the Kane County fairgrounds or the CADA (collectors) show at Pheasant Run in St. Charles. Both are this WE and both have a much better selection than any gun shop.

Thanks to all! I really appriciate all of your help:) ! I'll go there tonight and see if its still there. If it is I'll ask them to put it on hold for me. Then I'll go to the gunshow and check some deals there also. Thanks again!

Back