S&W mod. 12 grip adapter

burrhead

I'm about to buy a round butt S&W mod 12 and I started looking around on the net for a grip adapter for it. I've used Tyler Ts and Pachmayers in the past and like both. Pachmayer apparently doesn't make them any more and the Tylers are $25. :eek: Chaps my butt to pay that much for a little piece of low tech aluminum.

This gun's a 95%+ flat latch with the original diamond grips and I'd rather not put after market grips on it but put in a spacer.

Anybody have a source for a reasonably priced adapter?

As usual, TIA.

You're very likely NOT going to find a grip adapter to work.

Tylers won't work on the Model 12 grip frame; the grip is .085 thinner, and that leaves too much of a gap for the adapter to work properly.

I'd suggest a different set of grips entirely.

I,m new to this site and I ain't tryin to argue with anyone. Was planing to order from Tyler myself. Their site says they make one to fit Model 12. Mike, you're sayin the backstrap is almost 1/10 th in. thinner than a model 10?
http://www.t-grips.com/

He's right about the frame

though IIRC, it only pertains to the earlier M12s. My boot grips are sug angainst the frame; but, there is a noticeable gap beween the top of each panel, where your thumb rests, and each sideplate.

The Tyler T-grip has two copper tabs that slip over the front strap. Then you sinch your grip panels down over the two tabs, and it stays in place nicely. I don't think that bending them a few hundreths, if needed, would affect the function any.:)

Only the Model 12 - .......

Only the Model 12, M12-1, M12-2 and M12-3 had the narrow frame (hammer and trigger as well), the later versions starting with the Model 12-4 were the same width as all other K frames. Look at the engineering revision noted in the crane area. If it is a M12-3 or earlier, it is the narrow version.
........SmithNut

On another note....

Craig Spegel can supply you with his Boot Grip for the narrow version of the Model 12. He recently fitted a pair for my M12-3 and cut a few extras for his "stock", so if you contact him he can supply some very nice grips.
........SmithNut

Thanks for the responses, guys. It's a Mod.12-1. I've got a Pachmayr adapter for a square butt K frame laying around that I might try to modify. If it's obvious that's not going to work (doubt it will) guess I'll look into some Spegels. What's he get for a set of grips, BTW. $60, $70?

Thanks again.

I paid.....

For these Spegels, I paid $75, which included the checkering and hand fitting by Craig on my gun. Prices will vary from $50 on up, depending on if you get the "Plus" extension or checkering.
His work is top notch and tough to beat.

View

........SmithNut

Popeye,

Yep, the K-frames, up to the 12-4, were thinner through the grip by .080 to .085.

Given that probably fewer than 2,500 12-4s were manufactured before the 12 was discontinued totally in 1986, I figured the gun in question had a low probability of being one of those.

As for the Tyler, I thought they stopped making the Model 12 specific back in the 1980s.

As for the advice to bend the little copper tabs, I've found that that works, but only to a limited extent, and it's not a great solution because there's too much slop.

Back