S&W Mdl. 10-5 Nickel Trade-In

lamarw

I picked this one up yesterday off GunBroker. I is a Trade-In from the Gwinnett County, Ga Police Dept. The serial number indicates it is of 1976-1977 production period. I could not pass it up since it was for little money.

It is decent condition appearance wise showing honest wear to the factory nickel finish and the grips. The grips are original and are serial numbered to the revolver. It is in perfect mechanical condition with good lock-up and a bright bore. The trigger pull in singe and double action is outstanding.

On the lower frame under the right grip, there appears to be a factory stamp of G with spacing and a P in circles. I assume this stands for Gwinnett Police. I have not seen another like it. I could be jumping to conclusion based upon an assumption.

Attachments

• 10-5 C.jpg
    10-5 C.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 197
  • 10-5 B.jpg
    10-5 B.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Nickel 10.5 A.jpg
    Nickel 10.5 A.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 127
I suspect the G & P are simply factory fitting marks and only coincidentally form the initials for the PD. I have never heard of a S&W revolver with a departmental stamp under the stocks.

I lived in Gwinnett County from 1979 to 1990. I had two friends on the PD, I may not remember right but I thought they were already carrying semi autos by then.

Below is a picture of the G P marking on the frame under the grip.

Attachments

• G P Marks.jpg
    G P Marks.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 74
Thank You SaxonPig, I removed the stocks on another 10-5 I have, and it has different but similar markings. I just had not noticed it before.

Thanks all for the other comments. I do know it came from the Gwinnett Police since it was mentioned to me by the Distributor who took it in as a trade. The hangtag is also marked along with the sales receipt. I don't know how long some of these were held onto by various agencies. Then there is also the possibility it was never a LEO gun and just one obtained by other means.

Considering the huge number that were LEO guns, yours probably is. It doesn't add value so the seller really wouldn't gain much by the false advertising. Great gun!

shafter, My post was not clearly phrased. I intended to say it may of been a revolver confiscated by the Gwinnett Police Dept. Then it was a trade-in to the distributor.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Whether it was Gwinnett County PD issue or not, it is still a good looking revolver and one that I would like to have. Enjoy it!

Thanks damienph, I am not a collector of police firearms. It seems I have ended up with a few other nice guns that may or may not of been LEO but were police trade-ins.

I bought this one since I did not have a Factory nickel Model 10 and only paid $222.00 plus tax. I had no idea where it came from until I picked it up. Just could not pass it up.

It sounds like you have moved around a bit. I was once stationed at Ft. Riley with the Big Red One. I can remember nights of thunderstorms where the night became like day. Very flat and not a lot of trees if memory serves me correctly. :)

lamarw, for $222 I definitely would not have passed that model 10.

I currently have 6 S&W revolvers (K22, 15, 66, 631, 686, 1917). My model 15 is stamped FWPD on the left side of the frame above the trigger and below the cylinder. I was told that it is a former Fort Worth PD revolver. Also, my 2 1/2" model 66 has electo-pencil engraving on it with two rows of letters and numbers that I am told came from a western KS Sheriff's Office but right now I cannot remember which county. Plus I have a 1954 Armi-Galesi Model 9 (.32ACP) with a brown leather flap holster and spare mag that I am told was some sort of Italian Police issue but I don't know it that is true or not.

You're right, I have moved around some. For the last 16 years I've lived about 40 miles south of Fort Riley. And you remember correctly, we do occasionally have some spectacular lighting. Some say it's flat and treeless out here, we call it wide open spaces.

Back