S/W main spring

rifleman67

Inactive
I'm in search for a main spring for S/W 38, stamped on the frame j69,149xxx any help? The gun came without the main spring.It has a 4in. barrel.

That serial number can't be right (too many digits), but a serial number beginning with J is a J-frame, made 1979-1980. The mainspring (hammer spring) should be a coil spring and I doubt Wolfe has them. Gun Parts Corp should at www.gunpartscorp.com .

Jim

Wolff does have a spring kit for J-Frames, carried by both Midway and Brownells.

Kit consists of an 8-lb. main spring and three (13, 14 and 15-lb.) rebound slide springs.

Note that the 8-lb. main spring is considered to be lighter than factory (as are the Kit's rebound slide springs), and the Kit is usually purchased by folks desiring to lighten the J-Frame trigger pull. If the OP desires to replace an entirely missing main spring with a factory equivalent, you'll have to look a bit more closely.

The danger of lighter mainsprings is unreliable ignition. Test it with the carry ammunition before you carry it.

Doesn't S&W make springs anymore? I'd call them and ask for a spring.

Gary, I ordered a new parts catalog from S&W, over a year ago, and paid for it, but never did receive it. I e-mailed them about it, including the order number, several times, and never did get a response. I quit buying from them over that, and started buying from parts houses, especially now that I'm semi-retired.

Hi, RKG,

I just checked Wolff's site and they don't have coil mainsprings for S&W's. AFAIK, the J-frames never had flat mainsprings; the earlier I frames had flat springs, but Improved I frames had coil springs.

Jim

James: If you mean "factory replacement," I have no idea. But I have installed many Wolff J Frame spring kits over the years. One coiled main spring and 3 rebound slide springs. None of the revolvers I've done has ever had either an ignition issue or a trigger reset issue.

Hi, RKG,

My goof, and I apologize. I was doing something wrong and the J frame "button" kept taking me to the K,L,N page. So Wolff does have the springs; the OP will likely need the proper stirrup (mainspring rod) and swivel (cup) as well.

Jim

James: You're quite right; I entirely overlooked the stirrup and cup.

The OP could try Smith & Wesson, but I wouldn't bet my lunch money on their ability or willingness to supply these parts.

I do see that Midway carries the stirrup: Midway Product Number 149035 ($3.29). No mention of the cup.

I'd try eBay.

S&W with coil springs used two types of mainspring rod; one has a round ball at the top, fitting into a socket in the hammer. The second has a flat end with a cut that fits over a pin in the hammer. They are not interchangeable, so if he needs the rod, he has to check the hammer to see which one is needed.

(The part I called a cup is correctly called the mainspring swivel.)

Jim

main spring

Thanks for al the info but I'm more confused than ever. Let me clarify a few things.on the cylinder yoke there is J69 under that is a group on #s 149xxx this also appears on the butt of the frame, along with J69 on the inside of the frame when the grips are removed.J69 is also present on the firing pin.I will try to post some pictures as soon as I fugure out how to. Thanks for all the info

Back