S&W M69

Buckeye!

Ever since S&W announced the production of a 5 shot 44mag on a L frame .. I have been interested... But I figured Ruger would follow with the same on their GP100 frame ... I must say I was disappointed with the choice of 44 Special..instead of a 44 mag
I do like the 44 spl round ... But I like it in the Charter ....makes a great small SD option ..
So I back to looking at the M69 ...

Just checking if owners of the M69 could let me know their thoughts ....

And I wonder if the M69 will ever sport a 3 inch barrel ?

I've had a model 69 for a while now and I'll say it's one of the best revolvers I've owned and I've owned a lot. Shoots just a hair less accurate than my Freedom Arms 83 which is outstanding. Smith just announced a 2.75" version but not sure when it'll be available.

I just purchased a 69 and it looks to be a very fine revolver. I won't have a chance to shoot it until after I get back from a hunting trip over new years, but I will post a short write up when I get the chance. I got the 4 inch version. I really like Rugers and will probably end up with a GP44, but would like to shoot hotter loads out of this and did not feel like trying to hotrod the Ruger.

The new short Smith looks great:

10064_01_lg_1.jpg

Link to the Smith page:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-69-combat-magnum

First off its the Ruger in 44 special that I have been wanting for decades. I think its the perfect round for that gun.
As far as the 69 I also have owned one for some time and being a long time S&W fan, the 69 I purchased and it was ordered, was by far the worst S&W I have ever owned.
The quality is what I would have expected out of a Taurus when it showed up.
After two trips to S&W which they happily worked on and fixed I do like it. But the trigger even after going back for work is still much worse than my newer N frames. I don't like the lock, I don't like the frame mounted firing pin and I don't like the barrel shroud.
Why did I buy it?
If it has S&W and 44 in its name I want it.
And I assure you if the revolver has Ruger and 44 Special in its name I will own one of each type and model and barrel length they make on the 100 and I hope a 101 with and without adjustable sights.

I may wait on the shorter barreled M69 ...

I lean towards Ruger ,I own a GP100 and a Security Six both sport 4 inch barrels and are 357 magnum...

After writing to Ruger for years begging for a GP100 in 44 Spl I thought the chase for a midframe .44 was over when S&W brought out the M69. Copping a feel of the first M69 at the LGS left me with a "Hmmm, kinda Taurusey, a Ruger don't feel like that....." notion that put a lockdown on my wallet to see if Mr. Ruger would come through.

The GP44 will aptly handle category II loads that are plenty powerful for the deer hunting around here. I have been satisfied with the .44 Special in the BH so no surprises there.

Sorry Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson, maybe next time.

From what I am reading, it looks like some of the first Rugers have some bugs, keyholing and large groups. I would keep your wallet locked a bit longer until the bugs are worked out. I am huge Ruger fan, but they have had a ton of problems lately putting out quality products. They definitely stand behind their products, but way too many lemons of late.

I have the 69, have had it since it became available. For me it makes every other revolver a safe queen. It shoots like a dream, even with heavy magnum loads. It fits my hand better than an N frame.

I carry it alot as a CCW loaded with full power 180 grain JHP's. I find it accurate and controllable. I had mine cut for moon clips, I just started reloading for 44 Russian to use in IDPA, the loads I use basically replicate a 45 Auto Rim but in a 44.

I installed a Powers Custom extended firing pin. That allowed me to tune the action to a light, smooth double action pull and still achieve 100% ignition. The frame mounted firing pin left at the stock length does not allow for the old Smith trigger feel. I also installed different stocks to fit my needs better.

The versatility is what really makes it shine. I would love one of the 2.75" versions, I would get that before I picked up the new Ruger. Ruger as late has been plagued with many QC issues, just look at the latest Redhawk offering as proof.

Last edited:
I've had my Model 69 since the first year out and absolutely love it. As others have said, fits the hand great, and a dream to shoot with nearly every load imaginable... (ultra stout 44 mag excluded... )

if you're thinking of going for one.... i wouldn't talk you out of it.

Happy New Year

(by the way... i see the *new* 2.75" barrel listed online, for you guys who prefer the shorter barrel)

I had one and really liked it. I never shot any heavy loads in it, but with 44 Special type it was as nice as any gun I ever owned.

I sold it during one of my "I gotta get rid of some of these things" binges I go on from time to time. That one I was going to get rid of everything that wasn't 38/357 and 9mm. :rolleyes:

You can guess how that worked. :D

I have the 69, have had it since it became available. For me it makes every other revolver a safe queen. It shoots like a dream, even with heavy magnum loads. It fits my hand better than an N frame.
Well said, Nanuk. That's my take on the M69 as well. I've had it since they came out and it's almost a daily companion here on the farm. Superb accuracy, a .44 magnum on an "L" frame, and those grips that make it's full house, heroic recoil, doable.

Contrary to Brian Pearce's write up, I found it to be as good with my cast bullets of the Keith and Thompson variety as it is with Hornady XTP's. The 5-shot capacity is not a factor for me, but might be a consideration for those in really big bear country.

Hellofa hand gun, one of the best I've owned, and I've had two dozen Smiths to compare it to, over the past 50 years.

As to the new Ruger in .44 Special, while I'm a big fan of Ruger's fine SA's, especially their Flat Tops, both old and new, I always found their DA's kinda "Charter Armsy", this is to say clunky with miserable triggers til tuned.

YMMV, Rod

Last edited:
My S&W69 is my all-time favorite gun ... it has become my exclusive primary carry gun. Best trigger (after a local trigger job) of any gun I own.

Back