S&W M686 Mountain Gun Info/price Check

dewey

One of these 7-shooters followed me home the other day and I know nothing 'bout them except they have crummy late '90s triggers and it's a 686-5. It appears, IMHO, that the MIM
internal parts are a bummer as after doing my regular slick job the over-all mass/angles/feel is no where near what my '40s and '50s guns have....JUST LIVE WITH IT ?
I've thought about swapping out parts with an older gun till I get it right and then replacing those from my VERY small catch of spares.( Wolfe kit ordered )...txs...dewey

The 686 "Plus" Mountain Gun is, for some reason-I suspect low production numbers-one of the most coveted variations of the 686. I have no idea what the total production figures were, but it can't be too high. I've seen them-USED-where the asking price was as much as $550.00-!!! As far as the MIM lockwork, I must agree that it usually leaves something to be desired in terms of overall "smoothness"-usually. I DO HAVE a late-production 686 "Plus"["pre-agreement", however] that, with a little dry-firing-and a WOLFF reduced-power mainspring-is entirely satisfactory...unfortunately, I think that with the MIM lockparts, its more the exception than the rule. I have heard rumors of people NOT BEING HAPPY with the MIM lockwork and sending their guns BACK to S&W-and S&W replacing the MIM parts with "old-style" forged parts...can't verify this however.....mikey357

Back