S&W M66 w/ 3.25" barrel and HiViz Sites

Runner

Just picked up a used but very clean S&W M66 with 3.25" barrel and HiViz front site. Looks like a real sweetheart so I bought it for my other sweatheart :). Anyone know much about this configuration. It's marked 66-5 and has serial number CEL78xx. I am wondering when it was manufactured. Is it a pre or post agreement weapon?

Date of mfr is somewhere between 4/00 and 10/00.

Edit. Perhaps I misread the manufacturing date, because the 3.2" Hi-Viz sighted gun is listed in the new Standard Catalog as a limited run for RSR in 2001.

Hmmm...

RSR is a large wholesaler that is probably the second-largest distributor of *&* firearms after Lew Horton.

Perhaps I can shed some light, I bought a gun with CEB as the first in the serial #. Its date is Feb. of 2000 which is barely pre-agreement, after 3-15-00 will be post argeement. I'd have to guess that you have a post agreement gun. Sorry......Whit

Correction to my earlier dating attempt...

The Standard Catalog lists CEFxxxx as being October 2000, so your gun was made probably in early 2001.

Of course, it lists serial number CEBxxxx as April of 2000, so Whit 520 might want to verify the date on his sales receipt and send it to Mssrs. Supica and Nahas.

Tam,
That's interesting, I called Smith and they said probably late Feb. I have a hard time believing that Supica and Nahas are wrong. Matter of fact I'd bet they're right. I'll have to call S&W tomorrow and ask them to check into this further. My sales reciept won't yield much as it was a used gun, I'll have to talk to my old boss and see if he can look into the original 4473. Thanks for the info Tamara........Whit

I'd bet it is a post-agreement gun; but, don't worry. You said you bought it used.:) That is one of the best possible CCW revolvers you can own. Enjoy it.:D

You will also note that gun is a "Stocking Delaer Only" model. It is not available to all gun dealers. Does yours still have the Houge Bantam grips( No screw, deep finger grooves)?

It is one of the best versions of that model to have been produced.

Cheers,

ts

Nice toy! I always liked the looks of those, and a 3~ inch barrel k-frame is about as good a defensive revolver as there is.

Please be sure to let us know how that Hi-Viz front site holds up on it. I love the site picture on those gun, but i worry how well the front will hold up to a lot of shooting and cleaning.

update us

Yes, I'm interested in the Hi-Viz ability to stand up to use. Also, what are these things going for on the used market?

Your gun was written up recently in a gun rag, maybe 2-3 months ago. It may have been in Handguns but I'm not sure. Find someone who buys and keeps those magazines and you will come up with more info on your gun.

I own one of the original Model 66 Combat Masterpieces. Came out of the Viet Nam era. Very nice shooter and extremely accurate right from the factory. Smith claims the frame is a "beefed-up" k frame. If the new model is anything like its older cousin, you'll love the way it handles. Mine has had many thousands of rounds through it and like a Timex, it just keeps on tickin'...

Jhp147,

I paid $325 at the local gun shop. I figured that was fair enough as its very clean and I was not in the mood to haggle.:)

a437866.jpg

Last edited:
Lookin' good. Mine is a 6" barrel with Pacmar (sp) grips. Kept the old grips and mounted them on a K22 Masterpiece. Kept the K22 grips too. The old Smiths are really great in my humble opinion...

I have a 3.2" 66 with hi-viz sights. Mine is wearing Spegel checkered coco bolo. Really like it, balance real nice with the short barrel. I was looking for the 2-1/2 M66 when I ran across this one. Glad I got it.

Ron

Finally made it out to the range today. Its a very sweet shooting gun and seems to have about the perfect demensions. Trigger pull is a dream.

Shes a keeper :D

Back