S&W M625

Ron H

Inactive
I just bought a 5" M625-6 in .45ACP that has a 'bead blasted' SS finish. I've heard that these guns are very accurate, and am wondering about the finish. Is it durable? I'm hoping that it will not scratch or mar easily, as it looks like it could. Any of you guys have any experience with this piece that you would like to share? I get my permit to purchase tomorrow and can pick up the gun then..thanks Ron

I do not know the hardness level for the stainless that S&W uses. To clean up a stainless steel gun you can use stainless steel steel wool in progressively finer grades until you get the finish to match or the entire gun can be re-beadblasted as needed.

I had less than 100% reliability from mine and I dumped it quickly. The model 25's in .45 Colt (not ACP) is another story. I have a couple of these and they have been great. As far as finish, my Mountain Gun has been real good for durability and maintanence in the same finish.

The M625's bead blasted stainless finish will be no more (or less) durable than any stainless finish. It is the same material, but just has a satin blasted finish. You can scratch any stainless finish if you try hard enough. As far as 'clean-up', it is easy enough to have it re-blasted to give it that "as new" finish. As far as reliabiity, an N frame is an N frame. There will be the occasional problem that someone will experience, but the design is solid, and the M625 is among one of the most popular of the recent N frames. A fine revolver for sure, and one that will give you years and years of good service, if you take care of it. .......SmithNut

Back