S&w M625 45 Acp Ammo Options

newarmy

Inactive
I'm on the verge of buying either a S&W 625-5" or 625 JM. This will be my first competition revolver. Two questions. Which would be preferable for a beginner? Can the 625 handle any hotter loads than the standard 45 acp load, such as a +P load?
Thnx,

S&w 625?

I just bought a used 625-3 to use once in a while in IPSC or IDPA competition.

The 625 is built on the N-Frame, which is strong enough for .41 & .44 Magnum. +P loads in .45 ACP whould be no problem

I have the 625JM, the main difference is the grips. I'm not crazy about the grips, I think the Hougues would be better. Also I didn't like the front sight, it had a gold bead, I shoot ISPC and IDPA with it. The cardboard targets and the gold bead are the same color, and with my 60 year old eyes there wasn't the contrast I need. I put a SDM fiber optic on it and like it a lot, it just snaps on.

Also don't get a 5" barrel, it would be illegal for IDPA. The guys that were shooting the 5" and 6" barrels had to send them off to get them cut down to 4" to be IDPA legal when they changed the rules about five years ago. Even if you don't shoot IDPA you might want to sell it some day and there is a bigger market for the 4" for the IDPA crowd.

IMO the 625 is the ONLY way to go for competition, the moon clips are real cheap, about $.50 apiece or less. I load up about 200 rounds in the clips for competitions, all I have to do is show up and shoot. The reloads are quick and easy.

So, I would say get a 625 with a 4" barrel and put some fiberoptic front sights on it and your ready to go for less than the JM version. JMHO Ken

Ken O.

From what I've seen on the S&W web site the only 625 that comes in 4" is the JM. It appears that the 4" stock model has been phased out. The M629 comes in 4" and 45 acp. There's not much difference in the cost but it does'nt have the mods that the JM has. Maybe that't a good thing. I'm a beginner anyway.

I would recomend you also get 500 rounds of 45 gap brass and work up a load. The gap brass uses small primers, so you can reduce the mainspring/trigger pull. Gap brass is also shorter, so it ejects better. The best thing about Gap brass has to be that it doesn't require any tools to moon/demoon. 500 rounds of GAP will last for a very long time as it's designed to run at higher pressures than the ACP.

Edit: also google ranch products they sell 100 moon clips for around $20 (make sure to ask for 100 as I think 20 cost around $15)

Back