S&W M52 in .38 special

Ron H

Inactive
My local gunshop has one of these, and he keeps trying to sell it to me. I have a Kimber Gold Match that I shoot (also bought from him on his recommendation) and like it very much. I also have a couple of .38 special revolvers that I target shoot with. My question is; are M52's really that accurate? He claims that it would be more accurate than my Kimber .45acp. Are they reliable? A rimmed cartridge in an auto-loader? I am fairly new to handgunning and have never seen one of these pistols at the range. He wants $800. for this gun, and it looks to be in pretty good condition (at least cosmetically). What do you guys think? Should I take a second look at this gun? Ron

The price is a little high, but the .38 special semi auto is very very accurate but uses ONLY wadcutter ammo and works best with full MATCH ammo. Mags are also hard to find in most areas. If you shoot a lot of match work and need gilt edged accuracy it sure will do the job of you reload for it. It is a great gun but needs a very special home to work.

I bought a Model 52-2, in original box, in about 98% condition last year for $650. I've seen a number of them advertised for way under $800. You might try getting the price down.

Its a marvelous gun. With the best trigger I've ever used -- and exceptionally accurate.

The only downside is that it comes with ONLY a five-round magazine. (Of course, there are gunsmiths who can convert it to 6 round.) I bought two new magazines this past week, at $43.00 each.

I'd like to shoot mine in IDPA (enhanced service pistol), but that particular caliber isn't one of the approved calibers.

Yes the M52 is much more accurate that any of us will ever be. Saw a used one recently for
$559.00, This gun uses full wadcutters set
flush and I do mean flush the top of the cartridge. Gun usually comes with just one mag(?) It's a very fun gun ( challenging )
gun to shoot.

I used a 52 for an outdoor Bulleye league. Extremely accurate with the right ammo. Federal Match or very careful reloads. 2.7 or 2.8 of Bullseye w/ 148 gr. double ended wadcutter for mine. Great trigger. Tough to mount a red dot though. If you feed it the right stuff it will shoot better than I. Gil Hebard had a pistol book that describes the piece. Buy a M52-1 (large extractor) or M52-2 (small extractor) You will need more mags. $600-$700 good price.

Sorry for the length. Great gun.

Back