S&W M36 3" "combat special"???

sox

Do any of you remeber this gun? It was a limited edition run, in the late 80's I believe. If so what can you tell me about it and if possible a picture. I think it resembles the newer 3" M60's with full lug design. Thank you. Dave.

Well, Standard Catalog of S&W indicates that in 1991 there was a limited edition series with a full-lug barrel and target sights.

No figures on how many were made, or any other information.

In addition to the special order Mike mentioned, the 3" barrel was standard in the Model 36 with both round and square butt (frame was different, not just the grips). Later they went to a round butt only and used wood filler type grips for the square butt.

There was also one made (special order?) that had a heavy barrel and 1/8 inch sights (vs the standard 1/10"). IIRC, they came only with a steel square butt. I think that one made sense, but I could never figure out who wanted target sights on a Model 36, but I guess someone did.

I never heard any of these called a "combat special", though.

Jim

There were at least two runs of adjustable-sight Model 36s made, but there was also the Model 50, essentially the Model 36 with a different name.

The Model 36 has also had an EXTREMELY high number of variations over the years, more so than many other models.

Collecting Model 36 variants is a rich field.

I had for a short time a 3" heavy barrel nickle plated square butt. I traded a Colt Detective Special for it.

I ended up selling it to a friend's father simply because I couldn't get around the nickle finish.

"...but I could never figure out who wanted target sights on a Model 36, but I guess someone did."

You can "blame" our own Terry Murbach! I do... :D

You see, back in '89 he had an article on a S&W 31 published in the Guns & Ammo Handguns Annual. In it, he told about adding J frame adjustable sights to make a target .32. He'd also had a 3" S&W 36 done the same way and often mentioned it or showed pictures of it.

In the 1991 Guns & Ammo Annual, he reviewed the 1990-91 release of the S&W 36-6 which had a 3" full lug barrel, adjustable sights, hogue grips and a matte blue finish.

Mine is quite accurate with a variety of loads and really is an excellent little trail gun. I also have the model 60 vaiant in both .38 and .357...

I think Terry (un-officially) dubbed it the Trail Masterpiece... it fits.

Oops... I forgot to add that according to Wiley Clapp's article in the 1990 Guns & Ammo Annual, S&W only made 3,200 of the 36-6.

I like adjustable sights on my carry guns.

I simply make sure that my method of carry is appropriate for the clothing.

I'm not going to carry a Model 19 in a suit pocket...

Well, There are carry guns, and then there are guns we carry.

The 3" adjustable sighted 36 and 60 are excellent guns to carry... afield.

Such a narrow focus some have... :D

Back