S&W M1917 Snubby

Tinker Pearce

Recently I was thinking about ballistics from the S&W Custom Shop Model 625 with a 2" barrel. One came up on another page and people were very down on the concept, expecting it would have very poor velocity.

I had a Brazilian-contract M1917 in the safe doing nothing in particular, so after making certain I could source a replacement barrel I cut and re-crowned mine at 2" to do a chronograph test.

My defensive load in .45 ACP uses a 200gr. JHP, and it gets 920 fps. from my full-length gun and 848 fps. from my 3-1/2" Detonics Combat Master. Fired through 4 layers of denim into Clear Ballistics gel from the shorter gun this yields 14" of penetration and expands to an average of .640". Since I had a good baseline using this load for the test seemed like a good idea.

How did it do from the cut-down M1917? Average 841 fps. This is less surprising to me than you might think; SA pistols barrel length is measured from the muzzle to the breech-face. Measuring the revolver from the breech face rather than the front of the cylinder gives a length a hair over 3-1/2".

When Ballistics By The Inch ran a series of tests to determine the effect of the cylinder gap on velocity they discovered it really doesn't make as much difference as you might think. Being familiar with their work I was rather expecting a result like this.

I actually liked the look of the gun with the stubby barrel, so I made and installed a new front sight, did a light trigger job (mostly just smoothing things up,) Bobbed the hammer and cut 40 LPI checkering so it can still be easily thumb-cocked, and touched up the finish. I also made antler grips and an American Holly grip adapter for it.

Miraculously the gun shoots to point-of-aim at seven yards, and while recoil is a thing it's manageable for me.

Xg6sPPZ.jpg
13eeape.jpg

w71fird.jpg

H67td33.jpg

In some respects I suppose it's a rather silly gun, but I love it. Yes, I'll probably carry it occasionally once I make a holster for it. I knwo that my defensive load works in it, I can put hits on target in a hurry and with Moon Clips the reload is decently quick. Even if I never carry it and it's somewhat impractical it puts a smile on my face when I look at it, and big ol' grin when I shoot it. Sometimes that's all a gun needs to do.

My eyes.....my eyes....O the horror!

Just kidding Tinker, the overall look of the project is interesting. Be sure to pick up that extra barrel now just to have it in case you decide you want to change back in the future. I like the idea of 6 rounds of 45 in a small compact carry revolver.

How did you get the ejector to lock the cylinder without the front lug, did you install a ballbering style lock?

I didn't really consider making it a Fitz; it just seems wrong to me to do that to anything other than a Colt. YMMV.

I plan to install a detent, but honestly it doesn't seem to need one; it has less wiggle at the from of the cylinder than my M&P that still has the lock. Still, people install them for a reason so I will be going that route.

it puts a smile on my face when I look at it, and big ol' grin when I shoot it. Sometimes that's all a gun needs to do.

Got that right!
If it makes you happy doesn't matter what other folk will say.
Good luck.

I had a 1917 with a snub barrel. I didn’t cut it. Was about 2” from frame. Some one did a nice job on it , including resetting the sight. I shot it a few times and traded it for a good uncut 1917. In 50s & 60s there were a lot of cheap 1917 S&W and Colts. DCM was selling them cheap. Actually I would like to know where they all went. I have several 25-2s and one Colt NS in 45acp. Not really into snubbies of that frame size. Lay a Commander up side one for scale and weight. I’m a wheel gunner but for carry it’s a no brainer.

I plan to install a detent, but honestly it doesn't seem to need one; it has less wiggle at the from of the cylinder than my M&P that still has the lock.

It has less wiggle NOW. After a few rounds that could very well change. That's why people put in the ball detent when they cut off the front ejector rod latch.

A 2" revolver has the same effective barrel length as a 3" auto, and the latter is a very popular length in .45.

My carry gun is a 5 shot , snub nosed revolver in 45 acp ... I don't feel underpowered by the short barrel . a heavy 45 cal. slug at 800 to 850 fps will get the job done .
My pet load is a 200 gr. cast lead SWC over 5.0 grs. HP38 / W231 for 850 fps from short barrel .
I realy like the 45 cal belly gun ... makes a big hole and the flat point slaps hard !
Gary

Back