S&W M19: is this a factory front sight?

Carmady

It's an early one, maybe 1950s.

Anyone seen a front sight like this from the factory? It appears to be pinned.

Attachments

• S&W M19 fs.jpg
    S&W M19 fs.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 278
Model 19? It sure looks like a K38 Model 14.
And that is the stock sight for that gun, there is one like it in the next room.

It was on Armslist for less than a day. No pic of model number, and I can't make out the caliber on the barrel, but the seller did call it a 19 (just a 19, no dash version given).

That sight on the M14 does ring a faint bell, thanks.

Tapered barrel, no ejector rod shroud, short ramp post sight standard on K38.
A 6" Model 19 would have a post or red ramp sight on a long ramp; and shrouded ejector rod.

A friend has gotten a lot of good deals off the sales sites for stuff identified wrong or misspelled. He likes .22 rifles and has searches for several different ways to (mis)spell Anschutz.

It's an early one, maybe 1950s.

Anyone seen a front sight like this from the factory? It appears to be pinned.

What you have there is an early 5 screw Model 19, made in about 1955 or 1956 when they first came out. The target front sight is correct for the six inch Model 19. Only the shorter barrel Model 19's had the baughman sight.

Don

So it's not a 19, thanks for the clarification.

Maybe the 4 in 14 looked like a 9 to the seller. I doubt if he knew what it was, it was in there for $375, and the exrta screw/s alone are worth that much.

I know there are particulars and changes in these guns, and my knowledge is minimal. But, by judging the the distance between the front of the cylinder and the frame it looks more like a .38 SPL than a .357 to me. All that exposed forcing cone from the side view doesn't jibe with .357s I've seen. Of course the front of cylinder to frame dimension could have changed over the years.

Quote:
What you have there is an early 5 screw Model 19, made in about 1955 or 1956 when they first came out.

Really? No ejector rod shroud on those?

Good eye, Carmady. That eliminates it as being a model 19. Most likely a Model 14 then.

Don

My first center fire revolver was a model 19 with TT, TH and Patridge front sight just like on the OPs gun.

Yeah, but the Model 19 always had a shrouded ejector rod, the OP's gun doesn't.

Don

From 1905 to 1955 most Smith & Wesson revolvers had five screws, four held on the side plate and one in front of the trigger guard. After 1955 the top side plate screw was eliminated, and from that time until 1961 the revolvers were known as 4-screw guns.

Since the Model 19 (before they given model numbers by S&W in 1957) was introduced in 1955, it would have to be the first year of production.

Don

The Combat Magnum was introduced as a 4 screw model.
The 6 inch bbl, was first offered in 1963. As a 3 screw frame.

The Target Masterpiece started , as a short action in 1950.
Five screw frame ended in 1955-1956.

This 5 screw is a Target Masterpiece, stock model gun.

Back