S&W M&P .380 EZ Slide - Which safety

Hello All
I’m intending on getting a M&P .380 EZ slide for my wife. I shot one, and loved it; I know she would too. However, I’m not sure about the grip safety. Maybe, I should go with the thumb safety.
What are your thoughts.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I think they all have the grip safety. Think it can be had with or without the manual thumb safety, but I could be mistaken. I like safeties. Some don't. Find out what she prefers and as long as she trains with it, shouldn't matter.

My apologies.
I checked out S&W, and saw my error.
If I may, let me ask you this. What do y’all think of the double safety, as opposed to just the grip safety?

The important question is “what does your wife think?”

As we beat to death around here, it’s all about what one practices with.

I like safeties, myself. One can always chose to not use what you have, but if you don’t have it one, can’t chose to use it.

The real question is “ported or not ported”... the real difference being which she likes the look of best. There are 3 new .380 ez models that look sporty.

I have a friend interested in buying one, so we rented one recently. The grip safety, which appears to be standard, is different but didn’t cause any problems. I am not a fan of this particular thumb safety because, like a 1911 safety, it sticks out enough to be flicked on by accident on recoil.

The grip safety is sufficient in my view to protect against discharges if dropped, jostled in a purse, etc. The thumb safety is unnecessary and could cause the problem I mention, so I would skip it. Smith has a better thumb safety design on its Shield 9mm; you have to deliberately put it on, but can sweep it off fairly easily. The EZ seems to be using the thumb safety from the larger M& P series. A mistake, I think.

American Rifleman latest issue has an article on women’s gun choices; they tested 20 or 30 and the EZ won it all.

We have one with both safeties, no issues. There was a recall on this model for the thumb safety. Anything you buy now will have the upgraded safety.

I just purchased a .380 EZ. I guess I'm an old codger and set in my ways, but I wouldn't dream of carrying a 1911 with a round in the chamber, the hammer cocked, and the manual safety off. Functionally the EZ is not any different except that its hammer is internal. My EZ has a manual safety.

I don't know if this is a consideration for "post political", but the magazine release on the .380 EZ protrudes quite far from the side of the gun. It's not an issue for me because I use the EZ as night stand and about the house gun. However, I would be hesitant to use the EZ for concealed carry because a holster, pocket or purse could easily hit the release button and dump your magazine.

Last edited:
@post political: I tried to catch you, but I see you logged off just a few minutes ago. I didn't mean to discourage you from buying the .380 EZ. I'm not a fan of "plastic" guns but I found myself really, really liking the EZ. My wife likes the EZ because she has some hand problems and lacks strength for operating a slide. She can do the EZ. The magazine release has not been a problem for us. However, others have noted it happening when holstered. It's something you will have to decide for yourself.

Thanks Hammie.
You didn’t discourage me, but informed me. I will be aware of the possible issue when checking it out.
Like your wife, my wife has trouble with slides, but when she tried the EZ, she racked it with ease. Moreover, I’m also not happy with the 1911 setup. Therefore, I will be opting for the thumb safety.
Thanks again for your guidance.

I much prefer having the option of using a thumb safety. Keep in mind, you don't have to employ it unless you want to.

My EZ has the grip safety only and only was priced slightly higher than the one with the thumb safety....apparently the safety model is less desirable overall by the buying public. I certainly do not want for another safety hung on my pistol.

My wife loves her EZ - easy to rack, lightweight, very limited recoil. She also likes the fact that it has both the grip safety and slide safety. Have not had any problems with the grip safety with a normal grip and the slide safety is very easy to operate (there, I've said "easy" a bunch of times!)

I have one and I love it! I often carry it for cow as well. The grip safety works fine and isn't an issue - it's about shooting and "learning" the EZ. I got one with the thumb safety primarily because I knew that it would be shot by others who wanted to try it. When I carry, it's in a kydex holster OWB that covers the trigger and is a tetention holster - the thumb safety is always off when I'm carrying it - grip safety plus DA only trigger and it's no different than when I carry a revolver. Easy to rack, easy load magazines easy to strip down for cleaning - see if you can rent one at a range to shoot and have her try it out - if it's to for her, she'll soon know. I've never regretted buying mine and since I reload and cast my own as well, it's a good woods gun and plinker. As far as I'm cncerned, Smith got this one "really right".

@bedbugbilly: I'm not trying to nit-pick and perhaps this is a distinction without a difference, but the .380 EZ does not have a DA only trigger, and it's not the same as an un-cocked revolver It is a single action trigger, firing from a fully cocked hammer which swings and hits a firing pin. Anyone who has disassembled an EZ must realize that. The EZ trigger seems heavier than my 1911's, but about the same as my browning HP. Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I can't see how carrying a 1911 cocked, un-locked, and with a round in the chamber is safe. Functionally the .380 EZ is no different. I often feel like a modern day Cassandra, and I predict an injury from an accidental discharge and a lawsuit against S&W over this. Time will tell if there are really Greeks in the horse.

@bedbugbilly: I'm not trying to nit-pick and perhaps this is a distinction without a difference, but the .380 EZ does not have a DA only trigger, and it's not the same as an un-cocked revolver It is a single action trigger, firing from a fully cocked hammer which swings and hits a firing pin. Anyone who has disassembled an EZ must realize that. The EZ trigger seems heavier than my 1911's, but about the same as my browning HP. Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I can't see how carrying a 1911 cocked, un-locked, and with a round in the chamber is safe. Functionally the .380 EZ is no different. I often feel like a modern day Cassandra, and I predict an injury from an accidental discharge and a lawsuit against S&W over this. Time will tell if there are really Greeks in the horse.
I'd give you a thumbs up for the reference if I could.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I've got one too. I love it, and it's the only weapon that I've found that is truly easy to do everything.

I have about 800 or so rounds through mine, and I've not had any issues with operation.
The only issue I have had is with the magazine release. It often gets bumped when in the holster (I use a "Sticky" holster), but have been considering looking for a leather IWB for it.

I've also thought about having the gunsmith at my range/ club look at the magazine release to see if anything can be done with it.

I don't think you can go wrong when buying one.

Exco

I prefer the grip safety far more than the thumb safety. Kicking the thumb safety off is something that has to be trained. If she doesn't shoot much, or doesn't constantly use that safety when she does, it is highly likely that she will fail to disengage it in a fight. It has to be a muscle memory thing, automatic. That compounded by the fact that these safety's on that kind of handgun tend to be rather small, not like the paddle on a 1911.

If she doesn't disengage it in a fight critical moments will be lost as she changes her focus to her weapon and attempts to problem solve. Issues are magnified x 100 in the stress of the moment. Failure in training or execution get you killed.

Back