S&W M-48 problems?

prescott

Despite meticulous cleaning before, during and after firing, my M-48 (.22 MAG. K-frame) is constantly fouling between the extractor and cylinder. As the debris builds up, it creates a gap between the two parts which results in friction between the extractor and frame. After as few as six shots the cylinder begins to bind and the debris must be removed again. A local gunsmith/police armourer checked out the gun and said that it was in perfect mechanical order. He also said that this is a common problem with the 48. I have tried different types of ammo to no avail. Are there any modifications to solve this problem? Any suggestions ?Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:confused:

How are you ejecting the fired casings?

Muzzle up or muzzle down?

If muzzle down, change to muzzle up. This will help junk fall clear, instead of falling under the extractor star.

Thanks for your replies. Ejection is down and can be nothing less than brisk. The recessed chambers do not like to let go of the casings. Also, I have tried different ammo but I have not noticed much difference in residue. Let me also add that I own several k-frames, including two k-22 s, and I have never before experienced any problems like these. Is .22 mag. a dirty round ?

Hmm, after cleaning, is the area under the extractor star not just clean, but also oil-free? According to S&W, the surfaces in this area of its .22 rimfire revolvers need to be kept oil-free, so as to minimize the fouling that gets trapped there and the cylinder binding that results. Drying the area thoroughly makes a big difference, in my experience. Just a thought.

Also, I seem to have more problems with .22 WMRF ammo than with any other. I remember one bunch of Winchester ammo whose cases tended to split lengthwise. At first I thought the cause was my Model 48--until I found that the cases also split in my brother's Single-Six. Anyway, ease of extraction can vary from brand to brand, and, as Mike says, .22 WMRF can be very dirty.

That said, I have to admit that, ammo aside, my Model 48 is the most problematic S&W I own. When I first bought this gun, ejection was terrible. I could have taken a carpenter's hammer to the extractor rod and still not gotten the cases to eject, regardless of the ammo brand. I had to drive the cases out one by one with a cleaning rod. Finally I shipped the gun to the S&W service department, which polished the chambers, resulting in considerable improvement. But ejection still gets relatively hard relatively soon, unless I wipe out the chambers from time to time at the range with a Q-tip or a dry patch.

Problematic or not, though, I still like my Model 48, which was made in 1981. I even had S&W upgrade it with a full target hammer and target trigger. It's a keeper.

HTH. :)

Jimmy, your positive comments about the 48 are reassuring. After the first time this occured I bathed the gun in solvent to hopefully remove any pre-existing oil and grease. I also, just as you mentioned, carefully dried not only the two surfaces but the entire extractor rod as well. I must admit that this did improve the situation but not by much. Perhaps I should contact the S&W Performance Center. I spoke to someone at S&W service about this problem. He suggested scrubbing with a toothbrush every 75-100 rounds. That is no help on a 6-12 round occurence.

My gunsmith takes a few thousandths off of the underside of the star. This allows room for the debris to build-up so that it doesn't protrude back and bind as your's is doing. The case rim is still mostly supported by the recessed edge of the chamber itself, so ignition is not affected. I had this done to my .22LR that was similarly afflicted, though thankfully not as badly.:)

I fired the 48 again last night and this time I carefully examined the debris. There appear to be minute shavings of case material as well as the normal residue. I suppose the hard extraction is causing the majority of the problem. The chambers appear to be smooth but there is definitely friction during extraction. Can anyone recommend a gunsmith for chamber polishing or perhaps reaming and polishing? VictorLouis' idea seemed to make sense but sounds like a delicate operation. I usually do my own gunsmithing but this is getting complicated.

Try Cylinder and Slide, they do this on a routine basis. I've not experienced this particular problem with the two Model 651 S&Ws I've owned.

Extraction has never been very difficult, I use only WW ammo.

Brownell's has all the smithing supplies that you will ever need.

Just be very careful. I've seen more than one .22 that was so heavily "polished" by a home "gunsmith" that the extraction problems with from not so bad to HORRIBLE.

Thanks again for the replies. Brownells is great Mike, but I will be sending this gun to a professional. This revolver is no less than 99%. The price that I paid for it is well below market value( now I know why), so I can afford a little custom work. This is one gun that has spent most of it's life in the box. Evidently the gun was just as frustrating for the original owner. Alas, I am not collector, I plan to fix the 48 and shoot the heck out of it!

Back