S&W K38 Grips

Jeryray

I have a Smith K38 6" about 30 years old.

Looking for a set of match grips, the one with the adjustable bottom to rest your hand.

I put a set of that type on my model 41, 30 years ago.

I did a search and did not see anything but the "standard" variation of grips.

Anyone know where I can start looking?

TIA

It's also possible that it's the Target Masterpiece. Same basic gun, but usually configured with target sights, target trigger and hammer.

The Combat Masterpiece usually has a front sight designed for drawing from a holster, thinner trigger, smaller hammer, etc.

Both were variations of the K38. When S&W went to model numbers the Target became the Model 14 and the Combat became the Model 15.

You're describing a Fung grip.

Funggrip.com

If you don't care about the adjustable bottom shelf, Herrett makes a target revolver grip.

Herrettstocks.com

Edit: just saw those Nille grips. They look good too. The Fung grips are custom made to your hand measurements, as, I believe, are Herrett's. Not sure about those Nills.

Last edited:
When revolvers were widely used in CF matches, there were several grips made with adjustments for the K series. But with revolver target shooting in pretty much a "zombie" state, only a few makers remain and the prices are high. The old timers often used a standard grip, then built it up as desired using plastic wood, "fitting" it simply by squeezing the soft plastic, with a scrap rubber glove to keep the filler from sticking to the skin.

Jim

After I open the cylinder it says Model 14-3

Then technically it's not a K38. The K38 Target Masterpiece became the Model 14 when S&W went to model numbers.

It's a superb target pistol under either name. Time for pictures! PM if you need assistance posting pics.

Back