S&W K22 Grips

tallball

I got this K22 recently. I finally got to take it out to the range yesterday and it sure is a good shooter. It is every bit as good as my Buck Mark and Single Six. I was told that it was made in 1951.

I have two questions. Is K22 its actual model name/number?

The Pachmayr grips fit it well and are functional, but I would prefer a "proper" set of wooden grips. Would grips for a newer K frame fit it?

Any information you might have on these revolvers would be much appreciated. It functions very well mechanically and the price was too good to turn down, but I don't know anything about them other than it is an older Smith on a K frame chambered to shoot 22lr.

SW20K22_zpstie5cvxn.jpg

Last edited:
I believe it's proper name would be "K-22 Masterpiece." There were no Model numbers before 1957. The K-22 Masterpiece became the Model 17 at that point.

The proper stocks for it likely would be diamond Magna's. My pictures won't work on this forum anymore for some reason. Someone else will be along with a picture I'm sure.

Any grip for a square butt K-frame will fit, but I'd want to try to find a set as "period correct" as I could find. Check E-bay and Gunbroker, and maybe the two Smith & Wesson forums.

Howdy

The K-22 Outdoorsman (K-22 1st Model) was first produced in 1931. It was called the K-22 because it was a 22 rimfire revolver built on the K frame, which is the standard medium sized frame originally designed for the 38 Special cartridge. The grips on the K-22 Outdoorsman would have been service grips with a silver medallion.

Here is a photo of a K-22 Outdoorsman produced in 1935. It is wearing the correct grips. Notice there is no rib on the top of the barrel, and the adjustment screw for the rear sight is tiny. Notice the configuration of the hammer spur. The K-22 Outdoorsman was produced until 1940.

K-22%2006_zpshvbwzzkg.jpg

In 1940 the name of the gun was changed to the K-22 Masterpiece (Prewar, K-22 2nd Model). The Prewar K-22 had the new micrometer click rear sight with a much larger adjustment screw. The non-ribbed barrel was retained in this model. Grips were either service grips with a silver medallion or diamond walnut Magna grips. Production only lasted from 1940 through 1941, and there were only 1067 Prewar K-22s made.

In 1946 production of the K-22 Masterpiece resumed (Postwar, K-22 3rd Model). The Postwar K-22 Masterpiece had a rib on top of the barrel. Early guns had a narrow rib with a slight taper to the barrel, later guns had a full width rib and the barrel had no taper. The micrometer click rear sight was retained. Grips were diamond walnut Magna grips. This model had the modern sliding hammer block insider that has been standard on all S&W revolvers since 1944. The K-22 3rd Model was produced until 1957 when the name was changed to the Model 17. The 3rd Model K-22 is the only one that is properly called the Pre-Model 17.

This Postwar K-22 Masterpiece was made in 1950. It is wearing the correct grips. Notice the hammer configuration is slightly different on this one than on OP's K-22. The hammer on the OP's K-22 is known as the Speed Hammer. This one has the slightly tapered barrel, as does the OP's K-22.

k22%20masterpiece%20pre%20model%2017%2002_zpsgvbmj6f3.jpg

Last edited:
I have been dead set on getting a set of custom grips before, slept on it a few months and put the hundred or so $ into another boomstick:D I would sleep on it a while and then decide;)

I am honored that Driftwood responded to my post.

I was hoping to purchase some older S&W grips, some Thai exotic hardwood grips, and keep the Pachmayrs. Whichever look and work the best (tricky decision) are the ones I'll keep on there.

I was wondering if the Thai hardwood grips made for a modern K frame will fit this K22.

I was wondering if the Thai hardwood grips made for a modern K frame will fit this K22.

No idea about the Thai grips, but the grip frame for the K-22 Masterpiece and the Model 17 has not changed shape. Minor fitting might be required, but anything made for a modern square grip K frame should fit.

Yes, K22 Masterpiece. Square butt K frame stocks will fit.

Mine is the same age as yours and is shown with factory target stocks that are correct (or nearly so) vintage. Standard stocks were the Magna style.

standard.jpg

I just bought a couple S&Ws one is a 1952 K22. Came with the Diamond Magna
Grips. I do a lot of wheeling and dealing older S&W revolvers. The prices on
original grips has gone crazy. I can't abide rubber grips, so if I get one I'm
going to keep I by S&W grips for it. I buy the Thia grips to put on the trading
stock. Scalpers are doing the opposite, taking off the S&Ws and replacing with
rubbers, selling grips separate. Oh yea, the Thai grips will fit your gun K22
no problem.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 53