S&W JM 625-8

ifithitu

I brought a S&W JM 625-8,a couple months ago,getting ready to go to the range tomorrow to see how much I like the revolver.:cool:

I have the same revolver, I predict you will like it.

I mostly shoot 45 Auto Rim hand loads in mine. The moon clips work great, but are a pain to load and unload IMO.

Have fun!

Here's a pic of my S&W JM 625-8
413789104.jpg

I have the same revolver, I predict you will like it.

I mostly shoot 45 Auto Rim hand loads in mine. The moon clips work great, but are a pain to load and unload IMO.

Have fun!

I have one as well. Dillon sells a mooning/demooning tool that takes the pain out of the process. It's on their web site, or in the Blue Press if you get those.

It works great. I have some arthritis in my hands, and this thing makes it go pretty quick so my hands don't have time to stiffen up.

Oh, and the gun shoots great!

I have one as well. Dillon sells a mooning/demooning tool that takes the pain out of the process. It's on their web site, or in the Blue Press if you get those.

It works great. I have some arthritis in my hands, and this thing makes it go pretty quick so my hands don't have time to stiffen up.

Oh, and the gun shoots great!

Yeah, I have a few of those tools. I still like the 45 Auto Rim brass better and you can load 45 Colt bullets in there and roll crimp them so no jumping crimp.

Enjoy!

Yeah, I have a few of those tools. I still like the 45 Auto Rim brass better and you can load 45 Colt bullets in there and roll crimp them so no jumping crimp.
Right tools for the job and life is easy. I have yet to have bullet jump shooting my 625. Proper crimp eliminates the bullet jump

I like mine well enough, but I was surprised by how much .45acp recoils in an N frame revolver. I expected a lighter shooting handgun.

I switched the JM grips for a square-butt conversion.

I like mine well enough, but I was surprised by how much .45acp recoils in an N frame revolver. I expected a lighter shooting handgun.

Yep, 45 Auto is about the same as a 45 Colt due to the difference in pressure, it's actually a really great round in a revolver. Probably why it's lasted so long.

I switched the JM grips for a square-butt conversion.

Well, it's your gun, but the JM grips are my all time favorite.

jwise wrote:
"I like mine well enough, but I was surprised by how much .45acp recoils in an N frame revolver. I expected a lighter shooting handgun. "

You and me both, but I was shooting my new-to-me SW1917.

I bought a 625-8, non-JM, version as I don't like the JM grips or serrated trigger.
But it is a sweet piece. I haven't heard too many people buy 625 and regret it.
And I also agree about the recoil. It's far from punishing, but considerably more than I expected in a gun that size.

I'm seriously considering one of these ,but the Performance center model. The JM version looks like my 686 and 617. My collection is starting to look boring. Wish one of these was offered in blue. I kinda like the ruger 45acp/45lc as well but have heard of less than stellar accuracy from 45acp loads. Time to fondle both and do more research.

I've had 2-625s never shot them and traded them off. I've got 2- 25-2s both 6"
and 2-25-5s, one 6" and a 83/8". The 625s just don't have the smooth feel of
25s. I am using 45ar brass, I hate moons too. I've had a 1917 Colt for 50 some
years that taught me dislike for moons. I'm looking for a bullseye bullet for the
25-2s. Am looking at a full WC, not a 1911 type. One 6" 25-5 I have set up for
250 gr RnFp for hunting, the 6" set up for 242gr WC. The 600 series S&W seem
heavy to me.

I have a 625 and it is my favorite revolver, I hate chasing around for brass and found this is the perfect balance with a 4" barrel and Ahrends grips on mine. My favorite DA revolver period. Mine is a smooth shooter and haven't any complaints about recoil, hope you like your new addition.

My brother has one of the Original JM 625's that came out with a 5" barrel. I am not sure how many were made in 5", but the number must be pretty low. His came in an Aluminum PC Case. As soon as IDPA changed the Rules to 4" S&W went to 4" on the JM625's.

You will really like yours. The Quick Change front sight is a nice addition also.

Bob

I'm looking for a bullseye bullet for the
25-2s. Am looking at a full WC, not a 1911 type. One 6" 25-5 I have set up for
250 gr RnFp for hunting, the 6" set up for 242gr WC. The 600 series S&W seem
heavy to me.

Take the semi-wadcutters you have now and flip them over seat them flush and now you have a match wadcutter.

For the folks who think .45 acp recoils too much, if you reload you can use 3.8 grains of bullseye behind a 200 grain SWC and the recoil will be tamed. If not Federal makes a match load but it is expensive.

The 5" is the most common 625. But in the 625 JMs it's fairly uncommon.

As for recoil, I don't think anyone is complaining about it. It's just surprising that a gun that weight would recoil like it does in 45 acp.

I think the recoil is on par with my 4" 29 loaded with .44 Russian.

If I'm going to shoot a hundred or more rounds in a session, I have to shoot it with gloves, as the recoil is enough to rip my hand up a bit. I switched grips to see if it was just the smooth JM grips, but it's not.

Back